SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what everyone uses on their lugs? I checked the manual yesterday while installing my new winter rims and it specified 80 Ft-LB on either steel or alloy rims.

I torqued my new ones to 80 as it specified, but it seems a little low to me. I was able to hit 80 ft-LB with almost 0 effort; it was rather frightening how light it was. Maybe it is just because my previous vehicle was a lifted, modified Jeep. 80 Ft-LB would rip right off that in an off-camber trail run :lol:

So what do you use? Do you go with the factory? Or do you have a different setting that works for you?

·
Registered
70 Posts
99Saabnut said:
Just curious what everyone uses on their lugs? I checked the manual yesterday while installing my new winter rims and it specified 80 Ft-LB on either steel or alloy rims.

I torqued my new ones to 80 as it specified, but it seems a little low to me. I was able to hit 80 ft-LB with almost 0 effort; it was rather frightening how light it was. Maybe it is just because my previous vehicle was a lifted, modified Jeep. 80 Ft-LB would rip right off that in an off-camber trail run :lol:

So what do you use? Do you go with the factory? Or do you have a different setting that works for you?
80 doesn't seem too low. My LR Discovery specs 103ft/lb on the lug nuts although they are 1-1/16 inch headed lugs.

My understanding of FWD vehicles is that improper torque can cause premature wear/warping of the rotors.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aah yes. Stock spec on my old Jeep was 100 Ft-LBs but with the aftermarket wheels and 35 inch mudders i used I went to 125 Ft-LBs for safety.

As I said it may just be my previous experience interfering with my judgement; which is why I ask :cheesy:

·
Registered
70 Posts
99Saabnut said:
Aah yes. Stock spec on my old Jeep was 100 Ft-LBs but with the aftermarket wheels and 35 inch mudders i used I went to 125 Ft-LBs for safety.

As I said it may just be my previous experience interfering with my judgement; which is why I ask :cheesy:
Sometimes, once you break them loose and then re-torque them they seem easy compared to how much effort it takes to break them after they've been on a while. Even at 103ft/lb on the D2, I carry a breaker bar and socket.

It's also a good idea to re-torque them after 50 or so miles of driving and if a service center has removed the wheel - check it. Those guys must run their impact wrenches at 180ft/lb. Nothing worse than trying to get a wheel off on the side of a busy road with a crappy lug wrench and a frozen, over-torqued lug nut!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts