SaabCentral Forums banner

Lucky me and lucky SAAB

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  yq397r 
#1 ·
Its offical I am an idiot. But a lucky idiot thankfully.
Today I wanted to work on my Peugeot so I drove me Saab over to my neighbor's garage (where I keep my peugeot in storage). I left the Saab running while I opened up the garage and got the peugeot backed out. Then I drove it back to my place and did some work on it for about an hour. Let the peugeot run up to operating temperature for 20 or so minutes, and then worked with my dad on one of his projects for like another hour and a half. I thought it would be a good idea to get my keys out of my Saab before I went to lunch, then it hit me like a ton of bricks. I never turned the ignition off and I left it running for the past three hours, just sitting there over at my neighbor's house idling away. SO i literally sprint my dumb self over there, all the while expecting to see my daily driver sitting in a pool of coolant and oil while white smoke is billowing out of the engine bay as the car meticulosly idles itself to death. But when I got there I was quite suprised to find it was fine, the temp guage needle was right in the middle between hot and cold and the car was just sitting there running suprisingly perfect. Thank god it was a relatively cool day and I parked it in the shade. I've never felt so lucky before. If the coolant fans would have stopped working, a hose broke, or the thermostate stuck I would have a mutilated, cooked engine. The only downside was it sucked down about 1/4th of the gas while it sat there and idled for 3 hours, it was premium too (now $2.83 a gallon). But thats a small price to pay for my incredible negligance. So i think some one up there must like me.

See less See more
#6 ·
Why did you expect the worst? A car in good running order should be able to idle fine until the gas runs out. Idling three hours is less stressful on the car than three hours of highway driving.

(And where in Nebraska are you? I grew up in Omaha, and every time I go back I rarely see any Saabs).

#9 ·
Does anyone know what the airline regulations are for carrying fuel as luggage, I can get a return cheapy flight to New York from London for about £99 if I fill four jerrycans with unleaded while I'm there I would recoup half the cost of the journey, full tank of petrol in me Saab weekend in New York £50 result!!!!!! and thats before the duty free **** could be onto something here.

#12 · (Edited)
thanks! Glad you liked them both. I get alot of looks with the Peugeot, most people think its a Jag or an older BMW since Peugeots pretty much extinct around here now. I try to keep them both in good condition both mechanically and cosmetically. Forgot how much the prices of fuel was over seas. About a year ago, Gas was much cheaper here. Less than $2.00 a gallon for premium, but on the otherhand premium here is only 93 octane.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.