SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stupid question: Do I need to lubricate my antena? If I do, how do I do it? Sorry for not knowing;oops: But all my other cars have had or have built in antenas into the back window so that I am unfamiliar with retractable ones.

Thanks for info.
Ta-ta, janusz

·
Registered
218 Posts
I just had to replace mine due to a bent antenna mast, I opened up the motors and there was still a good amount of lubercation inside and the car has 95k miles on it so i think you should be ok, the motors is sealed pretty good and grease doesnt break down that easily

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my99saab said:
I just had to replace mine due to a bent antenna mast, I opened up the motors and there was still a good amount of lubercation inside and the car has 95k miles on it so i think you should be ok, the motors is sealed pretty good and grease doesnt break down that easily
Thanks for the info. This does help.:)

Ta-ta, janusz

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jrbrangi said:
wipe it with a cloth, then a little silicon spray.
Thank you so much for your help.:)

Ta-ta, janusz

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
You should never need to lube your antenna. The important lube is on the inside of the antenna. The white plastic thing gets greased every time it's retracted into the motor which lubes the inside of the aerial.

Spraying the aerial with silicon will do little but clean the aerial.
Antennas don't break because they 'degrease'. Leaving it up when pulling in the garage are what break them. Even the tiniest bend can eventually cause it to fail.

·
Registered
209 Posts
i disagree cleve. keeping the mast clean and lightly lubed (virtually any lube) keeps the collapsing mast from resisting/hesistating/binding. when the mast resists collapsing, this breaks the plastic geared strip that moves the mast. so while you are correct that cleaning and lubing doesn't keep the mast itself from breaking it keeps the mast operating. Also any bend that causes a bind do this. luckily its a cheap and easy fix.

the emphasis here is on CLEAN. gunk is what keeps the mast from going down.

my 2 cents anyway.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Clean is the word. To much lubrication on the external mast will gather dirt from the passing air and result in the exact oppotise of what is intended.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts