SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

i have one very noisy door (passenger side - makes groaning/thunking noises from within the hinge) when opened or closed

Also, the 5th bow release on the convertible roof only ever works on the 2nd time of pressing the switch - it always works the 2nd time, but never the first

Is it appropriate to lubricate either mechanism, and if so what should I use? engine oil, PTFE, bike spray, grease?

I also have a spare relay for the 5th bow release mech but wasn't going to try changing that until I'd ruled out mechanical stiffness. This car was in storage for 8 years and a lot of its systems degraded but its almost fully recovered now, after intensive driving use for 18 months, a full set of new hydraulic lines, a new roof cylinder on one side and a switch from using CHF to PAS in the roof pump. The sticking 5th bow is the last remaining real glitch....

Cheers
Chris

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
I use a combination of penetrating oil (historically Kroil) and a sticky, viscous grease (usually SuperLube). It makes a big difference in the sound & smoothness of the top opening and closing. I'm sure it reduces wear on all the metal-on-metal joints. You just don't want to create a scenario where the lubricant will drip or run, possibly ruining the top when it's stowed.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Do you get a chime and SID error the first time you push the top button? I'd think a bad relay would trigger a chime. I also think if the latch or latch gears were sticking you'd get a chime/error as the TSAS would recognize that all systems are not "go" for moving the top.

Maybe the switch is bad or you have a bad contact. It can be a pain to disassemble the switch to clean the gunk and contacts - but the contacts do get severely pitted and corroded. Might try swapping the entire switch unit if you have a spare to quickly eliminate that possibility.

I had a problem with the front latch sensor which would occasionally trigger the chime and a SID front latch message - but sometimes it did not. If the top would not start the open process - I'd grab the front top handle and bang the top into the latches once or twice - then it'd work.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your replies.

If I unlatch the front of the roof and pull back the roof switch, I get a chime and "roof failure" message after about 3 seconds.

However, if I pull the switch back for one second, then let go, then pull it back & hold, the 5th bow unlatches and the roof opens entirely properly. No chimes, no issues, all works fairly fast & smoothly.

My feeling was, either the unlatch motor is stiff and takes two tries, or the relay isnt passing enough power, also necessitating two tries. It seemed a good starting point to think about lubrication.

Maybe I should just wire in a bigger switch in parallel.....

I was fortunate recently to be able to buy a complete set of the special relays (windows and roof) for just a few pounds from an eBay seller who may not have realised what they were worth.

·
Registered
884 Posts
A tech II would help as it can pinpoint the exact cause of the chime. It might be the relay or motor since it's throwing a code - but it could also be any of the other sensors or switches that are checked prior to the top sequence being allowed to start. Not sure how many would be susceptible to working/not working based on a single vs double switch press - but one of them must.

I think Tallefiero or one of the saab sites with a tech support library had a good top pdf manual that explained the precedents/dependents for each step in the open and close process along with troubleshooting tips. Can't recall if it was NG900 or OG93 - but some of the checks are similar (like tonneau cover latch position, front latch position, etc.) so it might help you pinpoint if the relay and lube don't solve the problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts