SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to replace spring in a Forge Wastegate (and a radiator fan...bad resistor). The auto parts store was out of Mobil synthetic grease. What else can I use? I've got silicone spray at home. Catch 22 is if I drive to a another auto parts store (took bike) then car will be to hot to work on)

·
Registered
454 Posts
I actually just walked inside from cleaning and lubricating mine. I used M-1 grease, but you can use any grease... as far as I know.

Do NOT use silicone spray or anything similar. It requires grease.

I did it while my oil was draining after a 20 min drive. I wouldn't worry about anything being too hot.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks...I just opened up the wastegate...which parts do i grease? I see inside the body has a bit of grease. how bout the half ball end? doe that also get a thin coat of grease?

(btw...reason I couldn't take apart hot was cause I'm also taking out fan and needed to take off coolant hose)

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
of course I biked to the auto parts store and they're out of ALL grease...went to tire repair place and they gave me some...onward

·
Registered
454 Posts
The rounded end doesn't need any grease.

When you unscrew the top, you'll see that there are 3 gaskets/o-rings. There's one right on the top, and 2 in the body; one right on top of the other. Wipe all the grease off of everything and pull out the top gasket. Grease the top gasket and press it back into place. A very thin coat of grease on the piston itself and a thicker coat on the inner walls of the body. Then you carefully press the piston back in, making sure that it's going in straight and it's not catching on one of the o-rings.

I just read what I wrote and it sounds complicated, but it's incredibly simple.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks...all finished...I did coat the the half round ball though...hope I don't have to take it out again...Fan works... I swapped out the green spring for the yellow spring in the forge wastegate...talk about torque...can't wait to take it on the highway...

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just re-read yer post...I know I saw the two o-rings in the body...Maybe I missed it but where is the o-ring in the top?

·
Registered
454 Posts
You can barely see it if it has grease in it. It's the o-ring that seals the top to the body. You don't really need to take it out. You can just rub a bit of grease on the top. Just make sure that you don't put too much on, you don't want to clog the port for the vacuum line.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts