SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old style manual shift linkage I thought I'd try to rebuild just for fun before I shell out the $200 for the new style. There have been a few references to using a Lowes rubber bush here, but I can't find the original post to get the details. Can anyone fill me in?

I know there are a couple other options which have been mentioned here and elsewhere - shimming with tape, and using extra washers under the circlip to take up slack.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
That would have been me, here's the link:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41207&highlight=linkage+lowes

Not my proudest auto repair moment!

What I did is I bought some grommets about the right size and filled it in with silicone. I also bought a couple big nylon washers to use on the end. Grab a couple spare circlips too while you're there.

Having said that, I was doing this b/c the rubber bushing actually fell off my car. If yours are intact, this will only make it worse, not better. You're probably better off just experimenting with washers as shims and maybe just taking it apart, cleaning it, and greasing all the joints. You could try the electrical tape method, but I found that there really wasn't enough space for it to work. I also tried teflon tape and that just rubbed off when I put it back together too.

Also, there's a nylon bushing under the rubber accordian thing - it stays attached to the car. It's worth taking a look at that to make sure it's still in place. If so, grease it too.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I took my old style linkage apart and tried to fix it before I upgraded to the new style. Lubrication and some washers improved the shift feel but I was still having a problem with reverse. The new linkage didn't fix the reverse problem but it did improve it a little. I would have been happy with the old style knowing what I know now.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
yeah, i went through all kinds of linkage "adjustments" before realizing that my transmission was trash. I eventually got it replaced. This isn't to say that adjusting/upgrading/tinkering with the linkage won't solve some problems, it's just that there are multiple failure points in the driveline, the linkage is just the cheapest to fix :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts