SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought a set of Koni lowering springs (under £100 or $200 for those of you across the pond) for my Aero.

Now the dilema... different people have told me different things about using lowering springs with standard shocks, so I have come here for the answer.

Do I need to uprate the shocks also or are the springs a good mod on their own? - I hope not as I dont really have £350 ($700) for a set of Koni adjustables.....

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Springs designed for street use are unlikey to have rates outside what the stock shocks can handle but you may want to think twice about lowering it for London roads - mine is near undrivable:evil: on some streets with speed humps. It also depends on the condition of your shocks - if they are getting a bit tired stiffer springs will not do them any favours. On a practical level it's quite a lot of work dismantling the front suspension to change the springs and it makes sense to only do this once and change the shocks as well while you are at it (the rears are a doddle though).

·
Registered
774 Posts
You will be able to run it with stock shocks but I would seriously suggest you think about the shocks as well unless the springs was bought purely for looks.
If you want to get the full benefit out of the chassie you'll have to get shocks to go with the springs.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I have the springs with out the shocks, but I have to agree with pade, when I get the money for the shocks, I'm going to get them, they bottom out so easily it's crazy. Im sure there will be a great change in the handling as well.
If you have the cash for them bith, get them both. Just my advice.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
When I bought this car, it was lowered on standard shocks.

At almost any speeds approaching 40mph upwards, the bounciness of the suspension was plain bloody scary, especially along a dual carriageway.

Fitted the Konis, much better :cool:

·
Banned
736 Posts
watch out for bumps in the road, ill take a picture of much rome there is from the grond to the bottom of the car for you. i want to guess 4.5"

·
Banned
736 Posts
well more like 3" from ground to the sub-frame brace. 7" to the front bumper.

well you just need to watch out for things in the road if you lower it.

in this picture i thought i could get this 4x6 (3.5x5.5)under the car, nope.

well thats how much room there is with nothing in the car but 1/4 tank of gas.

and from the front...

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, I defo want to add the shocks too, just finances dont allow it right now!!

The springs were delivered this morning, not sure yet if I will fit them tomorrow or wait :confused:

Will having the steering rack-clamp and brace as well as the poly front wishbone bushes done reduce the dodgy affects of lowering springs with stock shocks?

I may put them on anyway and if it is bad it'll force me to by the koni adjustables sooner!! :cool:

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
i had lowered springs of unknown make and stock shocks for a couple of years and thought the car was ok until i fitted koni shocks to it, then i noticed the differance, but if you are going to fit the springs with stock shocks make sure when the shock is fully extended (ie no wait on the wheels) that the spring is tight in the strut cus you could have a shorter spring than the stroke of the shock, this is not good and will fail the MOT at best

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I'm almost waiting for my stock shocks to fail so I have an excuse to get the KONIs. The springs by themselves did improve handling, but I suspect that was only due to the lower center of gravity.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Just fitted Koni Sport adjustables this morning as one the stock shocks (Boge) had failed after 19000kms. The differencre in ride with the Koni's and stock shocks is like chalk and cheese.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Lowered Aero

Hi,
I also have a late model Aero,with the Viggen bumpers,and think that is sitting a mile too high and the only reason that mine hasn`t been dropped is the lack of ground clearance. My front bumper scrapes the entrance to the driveway every time i take the car out so my wife and kids cannot get into the car until the car is in the street,a real pain when it is raining.There is also the issue of multi storey car parks, i have lost count of the times the front bumper has scraped on the incline on the way down and don`t even mention speed bumps.It just seems to be the bumper,mainly at the corners, and not anything else that bottoms out. I had 900 coupe prior to my Aero which was lowered and had no problems with ground clearence but it never had the deep Viggen bumpers.

I would hate for you to do all the work involved changing the springs and find out that it causes more problems that it was worth.

Sorry for being so negative :cry: ,
Kenny.

·
Banned
736 Posts
Rogozhin said:
johnny, your intercooler is crooked :)

Rogo
ya, the drivers side is about 1 inch lower, thats the only way i could get it to fit. if you do a search you can find the thread of when i put it on and see why it was like that.

its one of those things i could fix but just never got around to it yet. your the only one to ever say anything.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Not meaning to thread jack but would the viggen springs with good shocks be a worthwile improvement over SE springs and good shocks. I want a stiffer ride for the handling but I have already hit something on the road that bent my down pipe slightly at stock ride hight with stock springs and shocks. I am sick of the sloppy suspention but since my car is my DD I don't want it slamed. Yet again sorry to thread jack.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Corn Cob said:
Not meaning to thread jack but would the viggen springs with good shocks be a worthwile improvement over SE springs and good shocks. I want a stiffer ride for the handling but I have already hit something on the road that bent my down pipe slightly at stock ride hight with stock springs and shocks. I am sick of the sloppy suspention but since my car is my DD I don't want it slamed. Yet again sorry to thread jack.
Koni adjustables all the way

1 - 20 of 21 Posts