SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been looking at buying some lowering springs for my '04 9-3 and I've see a few different brands that are all in the $200-$300 price range. I just wanted to know what opinions other saab-ers have about them. So far I've H&R, Eibach, and B&G.
I've also seen a lot of post where people are installing H&R springs. They are fairly affordable it seems and I've read a lot of positive feedback.

I'd still like to hear some diverse opinions

Thanks,
Sean

Edit: And my car has 105,000 miles on it. Could this be an issue?

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I'm curious what people have to say too. I have 100K. From what I've gathered with this many miles springs w/o dampers could be an issue. . I was planning on just waiting to do everything at once.

In terms of springs, I was thinking H&R or Eibach. Heard pretty good things about Megan Racing too but those are apparently for 04+

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
springs are springs in my opinion.. i would worry more about what kind of struts.

with that being said, i have a set of vogtland on mine. i've seen/spoke to members ith H&R, megan racing, koni, eibach, etc. and they've all had the same responses.

as for lowering your car (springs only) with the stock struts, i haven't had any issues for 5K miles now.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have the megan racing springs on my car with the stock struts. I haven't had any issues and the stance is 100% better, imo.

·
Registered
435 Posts
i have got voggies on mine with stock shocks. ride very bouncy though handling is superb and occasionally, popping sound coming from the rear especially over road humps. have got the yellow konis ordered on the way.

cheerios....:lol:

·
Registered
170 Posts
For those of you that lowered your car; how many of you live in snowbelt states? If you do, have you made it thorugh a winter yet?

I can see where an inch of drop would make the car look quite a bit better but my Aero scuffs on steep driveways/parking lots now...I'm getting pretty good at hitting them at an angle, but I haven't had the car through a winter yet and it's a daily driver.

·
Registered
425 Posts
The megan springs were 1.25 in the front and 1 inch in the back. They only cost me $130 for the parts and it was free to install. (I knew a good mechanic) After looking around it looked like it would cost $300+ to install them from a mechanic.

I have yet to drive it in the winter. As long as you are careful with how you deal with street angles you should be fine.

They make the car look 100x's better

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Bwhelan, how long have you been riding lowered? And how many miles did you have on your struts previously? I have a 2007 2.0T right at 30,000 miles and I am seriously considering going ahead and putting the springs on now, and if the struts go bad or I don't like the way it handles I can just go ahead and buy new struts.

Also, putting on new springs seems like a relatively easy self install in the driveway as long as I have a spring compressor. Is this correct?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Bwhelan, how long have you been riding lowered? And how many miles did you have on your struts previously? I have a 2007 2.0T right at 30,000 miles and I am seriously considering going ahead and putting the springs on now, and if the struts go bad or I don't like the way it handles I can just go ahead and buy new struts.

Also, putting on new springs seems like a relatively easy self install in the driveway as long as I have a spring compressor. Is this correct?
That is correct. (which I didn't have)

I changed springs about 3,000 miles ago. (At about 60,000 miles) Everything has been broken in just fine and the ride is beautiful. I'm so glad I did this and don't regret it at all yet.

I replaced the springs without doing the struts because I figured, If the struts go I'll replace them then. No need to do them both right now.(3,000 miles ago)

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
That is correct. (which I didn't have)

I changed springs about 3,000 miles ago. (At about 60,000 miles) Everything has been broken in just fine and the ride is beautiful. I'm so glad I did this and don't regret it at all yet.

I replaced the springs without doing the struts because I figured, If the struts go I'll replace them then. No need to do them both right now.(3,000 miles ago)

Awesome, then it looks like I'll be getting some springs along with my new wheels and tires! Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
392 Posts
The megan springs were 1.25 in the front and 1 inch in the back. They only cost me $130 for the parts and it was free to install. (I knew a good mechanic) After looking around it looked like it would cost $300+ to install them from a mechanic.

I have yet to drive it in the winter. As long as you are careful with how you deal with street angles you should be fine.

They make the car look 100x's better
B, remember we were discussing the springs for the cabrio? So, is the rear drop any different now than it was? It would have been all settled by now. Just curious as to how low the rear went. Got any pics on level ground?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts