SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does lowering the car affect the ESP program? I thought I read somewhere that since the spring rate is changed it throws the system off. I was looking at around 30mm (approx 1 inch) how much would the ride change. Will it still ride like it does or will it be harsh and bouncy? Will the tires rub on bumps and turns?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Don't have ESP so can't answer that i'm afraid. I'd be lying if i said the ride wasn't slightly firmer, but nothing too hard. The car will sit a lot flatter in corners, and it won't float over bumps like the standard car. The only time my wheels/tyres have hit the arch i was 5 up with a trunk full of baggage, (they were a heavy 5 up as well):eek: . I'd say go for it, you will love being able to carry the extra speed into/out of corners. Of all the mods i've made the suspension upgrade had the most effect to the driving enjoyment of the car. :cool:

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
You will be told by the dealer that it's a big no no to lower the car but ESP will still work just fine. You will need to do a couple things though. You will need to have the ESP setting changed to "sport" with the Tech 2 (assuming your car is not an Aero as sport is the default setting for Aeros) and then you will need to have an alignment done and after the alignment is done you will need to have the steering wheel angle sensor recalibrated.

As far as changes in ride, if you upgrade the springs and not the shocks the car will bounce a bit. Harshness won't be too bad but the car will not be handling ideally. It will corner better than stock still but not as good as if you were to upgrade the shocks at the same time. The weakness of the stock shocks is most noticable at high speeds over 90mph when used with lowering springs as this is when the bouncing can be a bit nerve racking.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
XAAMOTTOMAAX said:
You will be told by the dealer that it's a big no no to lower the car but ESP will still work just fine. You will need to do a couple things though. You will need to have the ESP setting changed to "sport" with the Tech 2 (assuming your car is not an Aero as sport is the default setting for Aeros) and then you will need to have an alignment done and after the alignment is done you will need to have the steering wheel angle sensor recalibrated
Thats a very comprehensive answer Xaam, did you do this upgrade and have to find this out for yourself :confused:

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Yes I upgraded my springs DIY and also had a read through WIS on the ESP system. After putting them in I went to the dealer for the alignment and calibration. Dampers (Koni probably...maybe Bilstein) are on my wish list but the car still handles very very well with the 2002+ Aero hubs/suspension, lower springs and lightweight wheels I have.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, thank you. Unfortantly my nearst Saab dealer is 7hr away, so this mod my have to wait. Do dealers normally charge for something like changing the suspension to sport?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
It's just a matter of hooking up the Tech 2 and making a change on the little keypad. Will they charge? It's a dealer so yes they will charge and most likely they will try to charge way too much. Calling them ahead of time and explaining exactly what you want done and negotiating a labor charge ahead of time is your best bet. You might be able to just get them to do it for you while they are doing the other stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts