SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both my front lower arm bushes are starting to break-up. These are the big ones that connect the lower arms to the radius arms. All the other bushes look OK.

Q1. Do I need to split the ball-joints to get the bushes in/out? It looks possible to do it by removing the radius arms and anti-roll bar couplings, but leave the lower arms and the guaranteed-to-be-a-beatch ball joints on the car.

Q2. The old bushes look like they are just rubber and nylon, so can be easily destroyed to get them out. Are they or are there any nasty hardened sleeves in there that need pulling?

Q3. The new poly ones should go in with hand pressure or a G-clamp and not need a press?

TIA.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Hi Hunts.

The Rad arm can be removed as you say. I reckon it easier to remove the arm and do the job. Ball joints are easy especially the hub ones. All you do is remove the droplink and then undo the ball joint nut and give its hub mounting point a few good accurate cracks with a lump hammer and the press it down with a long bar it will just pop immediatley. I've done hundreds of em over the years. Try not to split the rubber boot :lol: . If you do you can get a boot kit from your dealer. Part No. 8993867.

The bushings you are on about are Hydraulic, ie they are full of oil. They look very stiff not alot of rubber to move around but the truth is they are very soft and allow alot of movement.

See here for a handy how to.

The removal of the bushings is about half way down. It is done with a simple three claw gear puller and a large heavy washer.

Good luck.

Dead

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers. You're probably right about getting the arms right off the car.

Bushings on order. 2 * six packs already in the fridge :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts