SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, the lowwer A-arms on my new to me '01 9-5 have been subjected to 10+ tears of Northern New england salt and winters. That are pretty good shape but huge flakeds of paint are coming off them same as with the engine block? Block I don't care about, but how should I procede with the lower a-arms?

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Wire brush, rustoleum paint. You can probably remove the ball joint and pull the arm down lower with the car off the ground and get almost everything painted. Tape off the surrounding area. They are also easy enough to remove entirely. One bolt in front, two rear, and the ball joint.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Common issue

Is this a common issue with these vehicles?

·
Banned
1,042 Posts
My 2000 lpt has 11 Bufflao, NY, winters and looks similar. It looks like it might have been rust proofed at one time. You wouldn't know it but can follow the rust pile on which part of the car I've just worked on. :)

There was a recall announced last year for the control arms that could rusted through. Just inspect them during your oil change.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Recall

This car does not have the latest PCV recall either, guess I could take it there to be checked out for both.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts