SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

when I connect my MP3-player (in case it's important, it's a Creative Labs Vision:M 60Gb - haven't tried to connect any other make and model), I have to fully open the valume to max level in order to have a decent level of volume. I get the same "loudness" in radio mode when I turn up the volume for only 30%. I don't mind putting the volume to max when listening to my MP3-player in the car but I do mind that the high pitch ringing sound of my bluetooth carkit blasts with an extreme high volume through the speakers when I get an incoming call. I guess radio mode (volume-wise) is used to switch from music to telephone, hence the incoming call comes in at max volume level in radio mode, making it a trigger for a heart attack everytime someone calls me up. I'm afraid of using both the carkit and the MP3-player now so I temporarily switched off the bluetooth activation of my phone. Is this a reported problem? Can anyone help?

Thanks
Fvbourgo

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forgot to mention that obviously the player's volume is also set to maximim (25/25 strength). What's more, I also checked whether switching "smart volume" on or off would make a difference but it didn't.

I also posted a mail to the customer department of Creative Labs in case they're aware of the problem and have a fix for the Vision:M. Unlikely though...

Fvbourgo

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
I would try a friend's MP3 player (that is differernt from yours) to see if you get the same problem.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, did some extensive testing with two other makes and models of MP3-players and concluded that the volume output of the players vary a lot. The IPOD was a little better than my Creative Vision:M but the one which gave the best output (in terms of volume) was a cheap piece of c***, which looks like it came for free with a package of washing powder. I'm trying to find out now whether the aux-in volume can be altered with a TECH2 at a dealer. I found some list of programmable options yet but nothing on aux-in volume settings. So be warned when you buy an mp3-player! Some makes and models don't interact too well with the 9-5, although they are top notch stand-alone.

Fvbourgo

·
Registered
110 Posts
i had this problem on the 9-5 I had on hire for a few months - very poor volume with IPOD - but then I got a poor volume on headphones - found out that the new (well a year ago) 8GB nano is limited compared to my old 2GB - also make sure that a seeting to keep all levels the same is off

only solutionn was to buy a headphone amp - tiny unit runs on aaa batts
made a huge difference .

my 9-3 MY07 is a bit better with the nano - but i use the headphone amp
purchased from Maplin in UK for £5.99

·
Registered
110 Posts
i will as soon as i'm back home

it takes 2x AAA batteries and is not much bigger than that
Has a cable and jack to plug into MP3 player
and then a jack out - which I connect with a jack-jack into the aux socket on the saab
has thumbwheel for volume
on/off switch
led

Found it on the shelves in Maplin @ Kingston-upon-thames, surrey, UK
around 5.99 I think may have been 7.99 - les than £10 for sure - without batteries

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
There is free software that lets you remove the volume limit on the iPod, without having to resort to an additional headphone amplifier in the chain. This seems like the easiest method to me. Alternatively the iPod dock can be found for relatively cheap as well, and it also offers a full volume line-out which is superior to the headphone output.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
etaf said:
thats great news

where can you find the software, and does this DOCK concert to a 3.5mm jack in
The dock has the same output jack as the headphones. The only difference is that it bypasses the volume control and some of the audio circuitry for better sound quality, and puts it at the ideal volume automatically.

The software is specific to Mac or PC... there is lots available, check google. Gopod (linked above) is probably just fine for doing this for you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Problem solved

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Creative Support mailed back with a very simple solution to the problem. Simply plug in the jack into the "AV out" on the sync cable of the player, instead of plugging it into the "earphone out". The difference in volume is enormous. Silly that I didn't think of this myself... :roll:

Still want to have the "max volume when incoming call on TEL1" set to a reasonable level so I don't scare myself to death everytime I get a call. Will ask the mechanic at the local dealer to try to do this with his TECH2.

Fvbourgo

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
That AV out jack is the same as the line out I am talking about for the iPod.

If you don't want to buy a bulky iPod dock, this is a good option as well:
http://www.sendstation.com/us/products/pocketdock/lineout-usb.html

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I thought you could adjust the telephone volume via your headunit? Check your manual for the radio instructions, there is some key combo you can press that lets you set stuff. I think you have to hold weatherband and turn on the power, but maybe someone else has clearer memory than I do.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts