SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i tried searching, but couldn't find anything. my 2005 arc seems to have a stutter in acceleration around 1500-2500 rpms. i've really only noticed it in 2nd gear. i only have a little over 300 miles on the car. a couple of questions:

1) is this normal, or can i expect it to go away after break in?
2) does the ecu control boost in each gear independently?
3) has anyone else experienced this?

·
Banned
975 Posts
The engines are inline 4 and so at idle they can be a little rough, also its been inherent in all the saabs ive owned for them to have RPM drops at idle, its a saab thing.

Yes the ECU controls the amount of boost in each gear. It pushes more boost in higher gears. Someone on here had a boost gauge on his turbo for a little while after he installed the PPC chip, and he reported boost of up to 1.6 BAR on the stock set up in 5th gear. If i find the thread I'll link you up.

During breakin on my 2k4 9-3 Arc I noticed that acceleration at times wasnt what it should be. Take it easy on it during break in, I know its hard. When I first got my ride I floored it everywhere I went...because I could =)...yeah don't, just wait for the break in to be over before pushing it and then if you have problems become concerned.

thats all in my opinion though...

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
It might be bad gas. Try filling up with some good fuel. Who knows maybe the fuel in the tank was old and cheap...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya, i was thinking it's either cheap gas or still breaking in. also, i tried to figure it out a little more while driving this morning. it seems it stutters between 2000-2500 rpms right when the turbo starts to spool.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Manual or automatic? My '03 Arc auto does the whole engine flare thing, I'm waiting for the tranny to fail. Maybe then they'll believe me, and if that turns the case, I'm asking for a manual tranny swap.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
turbulence...i know what you're talking about. he's not talking about the way the engine drops rpms at idle. if you shift at relatively low rpms into 2nd gear, you can feel the engine surge in "steps" instead of a nice smooth build of turbo pressure. i've wondered about this too, but i thought it was normal since my first 9-3 did the same thing. do other straight-drive owners experience the same thing?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts