SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I want to know if i have low pressure of oil in the engine is there is sign or lamp at the car that warrninig on low pressure in the engine or not ?

Thanks Allot,

Thomas,

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Yes, the little light that looks like an oil can. It should light when you turn on the key, above the temp gauge I believe.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
As Raven says there is a light at start up when you have NO pressure which goes out (hopefully)!

Why do you think you have a problem?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I go to my dealer garage and he said to me that i almost loose my all oil in the engine and no light shown and no warnning light appear not at the start and not when i driven in the car.

So it can be that if i have low pressure of oil and no light appear to me ?
and no warnning ?

Thomas,

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Do you have a leak or do you not check it often :confused:

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
The oil pressure will be fine even if you only have 1 quart of oil. Moral of the story is check your oil more often.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i just bought the car few month ago and this thing bother me how it can be that someone tell me that i don't have much oil in the engine and no light appear to me.

Thomas

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Thomasyt said:
i just bought the car few month ago and this thing bother me how it can be that someone tell me that i don't have much oil in the engine and no light appear to me.

Thomas
The light only indicates an oil pressure problem, it has nothing to do with oil level. You, the driver, are expected to check this every so often, maybe once a month.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
My son is an apprentice mechanic, he tells me some of the new merc have no oil dipstick, and did you know smart cars have no sump plug :eek:

Check your oil regularly its the life blood of the car ;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
My son is an apprentice mechanic, he tells me some of the new merc have no oil dipstick,
saying that chris the other day when i was out at my dads house he asked me to check the oil in his merc after about 2-3 minutes of looking at the engine i went in to his house asked him where the dipstick was.his reply in the engine and he came out to look for it after about 10 minutes and a read of the book we found out the way to check for the oil was in the car through the onboard computer:cheesy:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Raven18940 said:
The light only indicates an oil pressure problem, it has nothing to do with oil level. You, the driver, are expected to check this every so often, maybe once a month.
I check my oil every week no problems, but if i have a leak of oil someday and i don't know about that and the level start to be a critical for the engine there is some warnning or not ?
i have an old Subaro year 1983 and when i have a low pressure of oil in the engine the light came on so in Saab 9-5 it's a problem ?

Thomas,

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Think you'll find the low oil pressure light comes on when there's no pressure, not a reduced pressure...i.e low oil pressure light = stop you're gonna kill your engine. :(

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Just a general rule with warning lights, red ones mean STOP!!!!. :cheesy: The oil light is red so you get the idea.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Raven18940 said:
Just a general rule with warning lights, red ones mean STOP!!!!. :cheesy: The oil light is red so you get the idea.
Just a little patronising there Raven :nono;

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Raven18940 said:
I wish there was some red light,
in the dealer garage they said to me when i came to check something that i've got just less than 1 Kilo of oil in my engine and no light came on so they are lie to me or there is something no good in the oil light pressure ?

Thomas,

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Thomas when you turn the ignition key (before starting the engine) and all the dash lights come up, doesnt the red oil light come on :confused:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Chris 9-5 said:
Thomas when you turn the ignition key (before starting the engine) and all the dash lights come up, doesnt the red oil light come on :confused:
I don't see anything unusual when i start the car i thinks all the light came on and after i start the car all the light gone.
I think if someone have a low pressure of oil in the engine the red light must shown and don't disappear .

Thomas,

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Thomas when you turn the key and the dash lights up, there is a bight red battery light and a bright red oil light under it. The battery light goes out with the ignition but the oil light should only go out when the engine is started :confused:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Chris 9-5 said:
Thomas when you turn the key and the dash lights up, there is a bight red battery light and a bright red oil light under it. The battery light goes out with the ignition but the oil light should only go out when the engine is started :confused:
So the red light of the oil go out when i start the engine she don't stay on.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Thats right it should go on when you turn the key and go out just after you start the engine ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts