SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After replacing a internally-disintegrated (non-Bosch) cap/rotor in my son's car, it's running again. Cleared the codes and it's seems healthy.
But-
Idle is low and needs a little help when cold
No CEL (it does pass self diags)
1st-4th, on hard acceleration (as on freeway onramps, throttle pedal to the floor), engine acts like a rev limiter is engaging (sputters/cuts out) at around 4K RPM, before redline. 5th behaves fine.
The car runs fine otherwise.
According to Bentley, there really aren't any idle speed or timing adjustments that can be made and all components seem to be doing their job (LH 2.4.2).
I'm sure I'm missing something - any suggestions? Again, no CELs.
Yeah, yeah, I know - Bosch or bust; that's on deck; we're 100 miles from any legitimate Saab parts source here in central WA.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got a couple of codes today:
12251 TPS Failure
12111 Learning fault in Lambda(A/F mixture adj)
Guess I'll try cleaning the TPS first, if that's possible. We've gotten 12111 many times before - we went through vacuum lines, all okay, cleaned the AMM, replaced the Lambda sensor. The CEL does not come up right away, it can take up to a week to present. My son says it runs okay, but I suspect it's running rich. Perhaps it's time to find a loaner AMM.
(sigh)

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
TPS is a real PIB to remove, due to location,but if you can get to clean it might help.
the contacts inside get dirty or burned, just like an old radio volume knob(known as a potentiometer) that becomes crackly, you can get switch cleaner which might help, but if burnt it will need replacing,
but remove connector, and give both parts a good clean (carb cleaner etc)it might just be those external contacts that are poor.
when you put your foot to the floor you are dragging in a lot od air but due to TPS prob you are not getting enough fuel to mix so poor acceleration, if you tried to 'feather' the acceleration it might work ok, it's nearly as bad as having too much fuel and not enough air. checkj there are no vac leaks on the small pipes and make sure the oil cap is on properly, as thes might be contributing too

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potentiometer

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
TPS, AMM and NTC probe have a black ground wire each........
Originally, these wires terminate in the same ring tag that is bolted to the top of the head. (Edit: 5dr has 3 grounds to one ring, vert has 4?)
2 wires have a red an "id" label of sorts attached just prior to where the wires bolts to the head, above the thermostat. (2 on the vert but 3 ires on the 5dr?)
This is the main ground point for fuel system components.
Check pin 2 of TPS connector to the head for a resistance check........should be virtually no resistance.

Good source of grief and fuel system issues if any of the wires are looses or broken.
Check for bolt/s tightness and any frayed wires.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts