SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might be a stupid question, so I'm going to ask for forgiveness in advance, but...

I'm getting really low gas mileage on my 9-3 for some reason. I put premium fuel in it, but I'm only getting around 16mpg. This is mostly small town driving, with a bit of highway thrown in here and there. I was definitely expecting higher, and I've heard of people getting high 20s/low 30s. I don't really drive aggressively or anything, is there some sort of problem that could cause this low mileage? Or is there really going to be that huge a difference between highway mpg and around town?

Thanks :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
499 Posts
Are you still driving the 2003?

I saw the 2008 at the dealer. The gas mileage (fuel consumption) is worst than 2003-2006 possibly because the way they are calculated is different and suppose to account for bad driving habits.

When I got my car new, the gas mileage was worst the first 1000 miles. I got as low as 19 mpg, later increased to 24, but this is semi-suburban to highway driving with 33 the usual all highway and 36 at an almost steady 55 mph.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Im getting pretty bad gas mileage in my 04 aero. I do prolly 95% city driving on each tank. Getting 17mpg according to the SID, im gonna calculate it myself on my next fillup. Also, check your tire pressure. Low tire psi can put unneccecary drag on ur car.
,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
When you say around town, how many miles is a normal trip, average speed, etc. I tend to do a lot of short trips (<3 miles) and get about 15-17 MPG. Stop and go around town (>5 Miles <20 Miles) I average about 22 MPG. On the highway (>60 miles), I exceed 33 MPG.

Short trips kill gas milage. If the car never 'warms' up, it runs very inefficiently. Try taking a longer trip at a constant highway speed, and see if milage improves. . .
Bryan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BKNJ said:
Short trips kill gas milage. If the car never 'warms' up, it runs very inefficiently. Try taking a longer trip at a constant highway speed, and see if milage improves. . .
Bryan
Ahhhh this probably explains it! I don't always have time to warm up the car as I'm always running late (mornings) or strapped for time (going out for lunch during free periods from class), and a lot of the driving I do is pretty short. Didn't realize that short trips killed gas mileage to that huge of an extent.

And yea, this is the 03 arc (stupidly forgot to mention that)!

Thanks :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,450 Posts
My fuel mileage problems have been cured. The first thing I did was clean the throttle body. My fuel mileage increased a little, but I was still not happy. I was getting 17.1 mpg and I have a short trip to work which takes about 15 minutes. After cleaning the trottle body it hit 18.5 mpg. After some research I found that it could also be the FPR. I replaced that and now I'm seeing 23.4 mpg over the last couple of days. This info all comes off the SID and I reset it after each job to verify results. Upon inspection I saw no visible problem with the FPR (fuel pressure regulator), but since the part was only 40 bucks I just went ahead and replaced it. All this started due to me having problems starting my car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
409 Posts
cjhutch said:
My fuel mileage problems have been cured. The first thing I did was clean the throttle body. My fuel mileage increased a little, but I was still not happy. I was getting 17.1 mpg and I have a short trip to work which takes about 15 minutes. After cleaning the trottle body it hit 18.5 mpg. After some research I found that it could also be the FPR. I replaced that and now I'm seeing 23.4 mpg over the last couple of days. This info all comes off the SID and I reset it after each job to verify results. Upon inspection I saw no visible problem with the FPR (fuel pressure regulator), but since the part was only 40 bucks I just went ahead and replaced it. All this started due to me having problems starting my car.

Is it hard to replace a FPR?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,450 Posts
No, not too hard. I got the instructions from thesaabsite.com. The hardest part was identifying some of the things I had to remove because I didn't know what they looked like. A quick google searchfor images of the parts and I was on my way. Make sure you do this when the car is completely cold. You need to make sure there is very little fuel pressure so that gas doesn't shoot all over the place when you start removing things. Another thing I did that is not listed in the steps below was disconnect my battery. I didn't want anything else electrical causing any problems or potentiall catching fire in case I wasted some fuel on something. There will be some fuel that leaks out for maybe a few seconds.

Here are the steps courtesy of thesaabsite.com

STEP 1 Remove the engine cover at the top of the engine
STEP 2 Remove the Turbo Pipe and unplug the temperature sensor
STEP 3 Remove the turbo pipe to head attachment
STEP 4 Remove fuse 32 only if you are planning on turning the ignition on
STEP 5 Remove the vacuum hose to the regulator
STEP 6 Remove the clamp and the regulator
STEP 7 Refit in reverse
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
meph said:
Might be a stupid question, so I'm going to ask for forgiveness in advance, but...

I'm getting really low gas mileage on my 9-3 for some reason. I put premium fuel in it, but I'm only getting around 16mpg. This is mostly small town driving, with a bit of highway thrown in here and there. I was definitely expecting higher, and I've heard of people getting high 20s/low 30s. I don't really drive aggressively or anything, is there some sort of problem that could cause this low mileage? Or is there really going to be that huge a difference between highway mpg and around town?

Thanks :)
Well, I am not getting great mpg's either and I have a 2007 Aero. Now I do have about a 25 mile trip one way to work and I haven't gotten 5000 miles on the car yet ( the manaul suggest a break in period to gauge your gas mileage of about 5000 miles) so I'm still hopefull I will get better than the current 19.2 I am getting with premium gas (each time I tired to put in lower, I got the knocking and pinging noises when I turn the car off...once I went to premium all the time...no more knocks and pings).

I do not reset anything when I fuel up...would that help...do I need to reset each time I refill for a true representation of my gas mileage?:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,040 Posts
'07 2.0T with ~2K miles. I'm averaging 25.5 in mixed driving (local suburban and some highway).

It's about 15 miles to work in the morning. The engine has plenty of time to warm up in the 25 minutes it takes me to get to work.

My biggest problem is my driving style. On the highway portion of the commute, I have difficulty keeping it under 75. I generally hit 90 on certain portions of the drive, if traffic allows.

It's the local driving that kills the mileage.

BTW, I used to drive a Chevy Blazer. It was a short commute, 3 miles each way. And I'd average 15 to 16 mpg.

That was a midsized SUV, about 3600 lbs. with a 4.3l V6.

You'd think that under similar conditions, a Saab would do a lot better. I guess not!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,381 Posts
I get about 19mpg in town. My commute is really short, only 5 miles and never exceeds 60kmph. I find the Saab takes a very long time to warm up compared to my other cars. I am almost at work before the temp gauge is a normal. This kills mileage. I expect it will be worse as the temperature drops. The engine oil capacity is relatively larger so it takes a while to warm up.

When I do go on the highway the mileage gets a lot better and gets around low 30's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
Krieg said:
'07 2.0T with ~2K miles. I'm averaging 25.5 in mixed driving (local suburban and some highway).

It's about 15 miles to work in the morning. The engine has plenty of time to warm up in the 25 minutes it takes me to get to work.

My biggest problem is my driving style. On the highway portion of the commute, I have difficulty keeping it under 75. I generally hit 90 on certain portions of the drive, if traffic allows.
My Passat had an "instantaeous" mpg readout on the trip computer..so you could see what you were doing right then... I found that 2k-2.5k rpms gave me the best (roughly speaking). but for my Passat that limited me to ~70/75 b/c my 6th gear wasn't as tall as the 9-3 (which only gets up to 3k rpm ~90mph for me)... so I'm actually expecting to see better mpg at ~80mph than I was getting there (which was in the low 30's) ?? Even tho the sticker claims 1mpg worse (this was an 07 sticker, before the EPA revised rules).

Or am I missing something?

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
Aspen said:
I get about 19mpg in town. My commute is really short, only 5 miles and never exceeds 60kmph. I find the Saab takes a very long time to warm up compared to my other cars. I am almost at work before the temp gauge is a normal. This kills mileage. I expect it will be worse as the temperature drops. The engine oil capacity is relatively larger so it takes a while to warm up.

When I do go on the highway the mileage gets a lot better and gets around low 30's.
You've got that right, I have a seven mile ride, and it seems the temp gauge just doesn't move off of cold.
I'm thankful for the heated seats.

We're getting around 20.7 mpg. 1240 miles on the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Averaging 33 MPG HWY, and 24 MPG between home and work on back roads. Longer trips where I don't use cruise control I can top 36 MPG - cruise control and I'm almost always in the 29 range... I know that's backwards of how it is supposed to work. :cool:
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top