SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I added an "HD lip" to my 9-5 for 25 dollars. The project started as entertainment to kill an afternoon of boredom and actually turned out well enough that I wanted to share the instructions with the forum.

If you are unfamiliar with the HD lip phenomenon, HD stands for Home Depot (a popular hardware store). It is just for fun, only takes about an hour to install and it can be removed even quicker than that... if you get tired of it.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2262/1801067390_8cbd2501e2.jpg?v=0

The lip is made from a flexible foam garage door gasket. My lip spoiler has held up to flooded streets, light snow, 80-90mph sustained driving (not all at the same time) and still looks great. Plus it offers some protection from steep driveways and tall parking chocks.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2252/1801067412_18188b83b9.jpg?v=0

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Darn-it. The photos showed up in preview but not when I posted or try to edit. Oh well, the links still work. ;oops:

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
73 Posts
saabcog said:
I added an "HD lip" to my 9-5 for 25 dollars. The project started as entertainment to kill an afternoon of boredom and actually turned out well enough that I wanted to share the instructions with the forum.

If you are unfamiliar with the HD lip phenomenon, HD stands for Home Depot (a popular hardware store). It is just for fun, only takes about an hour to install and it can be removed even quicker than that... if you get tired of it.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2262/1801067390_8cbd2501e2.jpg?v=0

The lip is made from a flexible foam garage door gasket. My lip spoiler has held up to flooded streets, light snow, 80-90mph sustained driving (not all at the same time) and still looks great. Plus it offers some protection from steep driveways and tall parking chocks.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2252/1801067412_18188b83b9.jpg?v=0
sounds really cool and something that i'd look into... only problem is that the link for the instructions isn't working...
i even have a home depot like a 3 min drive away...
please post the instructions! :cheesy:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
woohoo, go HD racing!

One of my dreams is to one-day build a rat rod with as many home depot parts as possible, think PVC IC pipes, JB weld and zipties everywhere, and brass pluming fittings for oil lines, etc.

Oh, and rust-oleum paint and duct-tape racing stripes...

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jaminnbenji said:
sounds really cool and something that i'd look into... only problem is that the link for the instructions isn't working...
i even have a home depot like a 3 min drive away...
please post the instructions! :cheesy:
Sorry about that, I'm batting zero with the link syntax tonight. Give my OP link a try now and it should work for you.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
THATS SWEET AS HELL! Hahaha can you make it into any shape you'd like? And how did you make it come up in the center like that?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SectorNine50 said:
THATS SWEET AS HELL! Hahaha can you make it into any shape you'd like? And how did you make it come up in the center like that?
The material is surprisingly flexible. I didn't even make relief cuts on the underside. The upturn in the center was natural, I just followed the curve of the car. The entire lip will turn outwards like it does in the center if you first remove the small black plastic ground effects on each side of the car's front spoiler. I tried it out that way but personally preferred what you see in the photos with the stock ground effects intact.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
saabcog said:
The material is surprisingly flexible. I didn't even make relief cuts on the underside. The upturn in the center was natural, I just followed the curve of the car. The entire lip will turn outwards like it does in the center if you first remove the small black plastic ground effects on each side of the car's front spoiler. I tried it out that way but personally preferred what you see in the photos with the stock ground effects intact.
Oooooh I see! I didn't realize you left the stock trim pieces on there. I was actually thinking about adding a lip to the Aero thing, this my be the way to do it! :cool:

·
Registered
73 Posts
saabcog said:
Sorry about that, I'm batting zero with the link syntax tonight. Give my OP link a try now and it should work for you.
k... much thanks... my front lip spoiler was missing when i bought the car... so it had no ground effects what so ever... so this may be my cheap solution... and even better my saab is black too

·
Registered
579 Posts
ACBarnett said:
Oh, and rust-oleum paint and duct-tape racing stripes...
Apparently, that's been done...lol. My gf is at FSU med and she called me the other day to tell me she had just seen a honda with Alabama plates with duct tape racing stripes...Florida-bama is a great place to catch these new innovations :roll:

·
Registered
73 Posts
sweeeeeet... just put one on... looking fine :cool:... i'll post pics later when it's not in my garage and it's sunny out... it's a little messed up on one side and you can kinda see the mounting tape in a few places but it looks better than it did before!!!:cheesy: (p.s. this is my first ever mod to my car... im happy)

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
jaminnbenji said:
sweeeeeet... just put one on... looking fine :cool:... i'll post pics later when it's not in my garage and it's sunny out... it's a little messed up on one side and you can kinda see the mounting tape in a few places but it looks better than it did before!!!:cheesy: (p.s. this is my first ever mod to my car... im happy)
I used a black Sharpie the day I installed the lip to cover the gray tape where it could be seen. A few days later I used satin black bumper paint and toothpick to carefully blackout the tape edge a little nicer.

·
Registered
73 Posts
saabcog said:
I used a black Sharpie the day I installed the lip to cover the gray tape where it could be seen. A few days later I used satin black bumper paint and toothpick to carefully blackout the tape edge a little nicer.
yea... well i cut off the excess tape with an exacto knife so theres just a thin line between the bumper and the "spoiler"... i just wonder how it's gonna last through my mountain drives in the colorado blizzards... ahhh skiing

·
Registered
188 Posts
Flexible materials are not really paint able since as soon as you paint them they're gonna chip away. The problem I have with the front lip is not the the shape, its the color. Since its dark you hardly see it. so from far the car looks like it doesn't have a front lip, side skirts.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts