SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a '97 900, and the low coolant warning comes on when you start up, eventhough the coolant is fine.
Anyone have this problem, and if it is a sensor or something, how difficult/expensive is it to change?

Thanks,
Jeff

Oh yeah, it's a 2.3 non-turbo in case that matters.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
The sensor is on the plastic reservoir, w. two wires coming out. It is basically a float. Check the wires, connector, make sure the float is moving freely, things like that. They don't often fail. When they do, the easiest thing may be to get a used reservoir w. the sensor, usually a few bucks on ebay.

·
Registered
'02 9-5 Aero Wagon, '88 SPG, '02 Viggen Vert, '01 Viggen 4dr, +Triumphs & MGs
1,747 Posts
It is true the sensor rarely fails - this problem is common amongst our era cars - there are numerous threads on here about it. Basically - it usually falls to 2 categories - 1 dirty tank - remove the overflow tank and clean it out - I have used the hose to pressure wash it, or you can put some water and rice in there and shake like mad. then rinse out all the rice. Make sure you get it all. This worked for me for a year at a time.

Recently I discovered my actual sensor - had a crack on the tab holding it in place (the black plastic part - not the tank itself) which allowed the switch to wiggle a little. Seemed like not enough to matter, but I replaced the sensor with one from a junkyard - and presto - the problem is solved again. (Granted my tank is also clean).

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Oh yeah, it's a 2.3 non-turbo in case that matters.All the info/data matter, Wingnut, even "excessive"..
I would disable the sensor, if it responds not to cleaning and/or inexpensive repair..as PMI and Flashheart have suggested.
And their knowledge and methods are top-notch...
I subscribe to the "open the hood and do an inspection once a week" concept..This is better than dealing with imperfect sensors.. :cheesy:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
earthworm said:
Oh yeah, it's a 2.3 non-turbo in case that matters.All the info/data matter, Wingnut, even "excessive"..
I would disable the sensor, if it responds not to cleaning and/or inexpensive repair..as PMI and Flashheart have suggested.
And their knowledge and methods are top-notch...
I subscribe to the "open the hood and do an inspection once a week" concept..This is better than dealing with imperfect sensors.. :cheesy:

I am new to the 900's and didn't realize what components differ from motor to motor.

If it doesn't respond to cleaning, I am just going to disable it. I have owned a bunch of cars, I don't think any have had this feature and it hasn't been a proble since. I just don't want to have to repeatedly clear it from the display.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While I have a few people ears, maybe you could answer an exhaust question.

Have you ever had the front flex-pipe replaced without replacing the Cat? It looks like it is all one piece, but someone told me that muffler shops (Meineke was specifically mentioned) would just weld in a new flex pipe and keep the old Cat.

Does this sound right, or was he just feeding me a bunch of....

97 900 S 2.3 non-turbo, automatic

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Yes, a good muffler shop can weld in a repair section - it may not last not as long as OEM, but this may not matter ...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts