SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Low coolant comes up on the SID about every 30 days, I put in a little coolant, everything great for awhile until the light comes back on.

Where would you suggest I start to fix this? I've read through several of the coolant threads and couldn't find any posts with a such a slow loss of coolant.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
what engine are we talking about here.

Heater by pass valve is the #1 suspect. If you have a V-6 it could be other things.

Fill us in.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Little leaks can on occasion become big leaks, and a big leak could overheat your engine and that might be bad. Why not fix it? How long do you want to keep the car?

In any event, carry some Dexcool in the car with you. Don't want to be diluting your coolant this time of year.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Little leaks can on occasion become big leaks, and a big leak could overheat your engine and that might be bad. Why not fix it? How long do you want to keep the car?

In any event, carry some Dexcool in the car with you. Don't want to be diluting your coolant this time of year.
Looks to involved for a nob like me to fix and I'd rather not spend the $ right now getting ripped off at the shop.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Thank you gregk, exactly what I was looking for!

Is this one of those fix asap problems or not a big deal?
It's an easy fix. Get the part off ebay. Use some hose cable clamp pliers (amazon has a great one for around $30 and is well worth it). It's not in the easiest location, but to be honest I did it without any assistance other than here and the WIS and it went fine. Took me about 2 hours because I took my time, but can easily be done by yourself. Total cost will be around $50 (20 for the part, 30 for the pliers).

You can attempt it with just needle nose pliers or clamps but trust me you'll love having the hose clamp cable pliers.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Eastwood- A Man's Got to Know his Limitations.

Nothing wrong with that. Have your mechanic of choice look at the CBV for slow leak as well as other obvious sources. Don't hesitate to search and print out possible causes from this site to show your mechanic. Any good mechanic will welcome information leading to a fix.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Don't buy that crappy valve. Buy this for $22 http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/31030/Heater-Hose-5463252/ and you replace all the hoses in the heater circuit and get rid of the USELESS bypass valve, and never have to replace that bypass valve again, and again, and again. This is the ONLY fix that makes any sense. All 4 of the 95s in our family have this hose and we are in Los Angeles and see no difference in a/c cooling.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Don't buy that crappy valve. Buy this for $22 http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/31030/Heater-Hose-5463252/ and you replace all the hoses in the heater circuit and get rid of the USELESS bypass valve, and never have to replace that bypass valve again, and again, and again. This is the ONLY fix that makes any sense. All 4 of the 95s in our family have this hose and we are in Los Angeles and see no difference in a/c cooling.
Not at all trying to start a rabbit trail here, but I've read that the bypass valve enables the heat to warm up more quickly. Not sure if this is true. Being in a cold climate (MN), it has made me reconsider using the hose vs. the valve.

FYI - I already have the MacKay hose ready to go for when mine fails.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Not at all trying to start a rabbit trail here, but I've read that the bypass valve enables the heat to warm up more quickly. Not sure if this is true. Being in a cold climate (MN), it has made me reconsider using the hose vs. the valve.

FYI - I already have the MacKay hose ready to go for when mine fails.
This is NOT true. the valve does not help the heat warm up sooner.

The hot water goes into the heater at all times. Only shuts off when the A/C is in the COLDEST position.

AGAIN.....The bypass valve SHUTS OFF the hot water when the ACC in in the coldest position which reads LO on the ACC. Have you ever used the LO setting?

No reason not to put in the bypass hose in MN.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Look in here, there are a few threads.
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117379
Some of us have deleted the valve altogether and replaced it with a hose kit. Gets rid of a lot of clutter and the troublesome valve.
http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/31030/Heater-Hose-5463252/
My HBV is starting to leak again and I was going to get the eliminate kit, been thinking of it for a while and saw this post.

Unfortunately eeuro says it's no longer available. Anyone else know where to get your hands on one?

·
Registered
897 Posts
Do88 is making these hoses in silicone. PFS has them on their site but then have overseas shipping. Eeuroparts has a lot of Do88 stuff listed but not these. Maybe they would order them.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
My HBV is starting to leak again and I was going to get the eliminate kit, been thinking of it for a while and saw this post.

Unfortunately eeuro says it's no longer available. Anyone else know where to get your hands on one?
you are handy enough that you could make your own. Need a reducer and 90 degree angle. the rest could be straight hose that is a bit flexible.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.