SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I bought my 2nd Saab a few weeks ago (2003 9-3 aero with 78K miles) for what I thought was a good deal bc of the leak on the heater bypass valve. When driving the car home it got a little hot, added more water and it run fine. After replacing the valve notice high pressure on the reservoir. Bad head gasket! Run some blue devil gasket sealer through it and fix the problem :) but I noticed irregular idle. The check engine light came on with the codes p1549 (charge air malfunction) and p1303 (missfire on cylinder 3) and drove it for about 100 miles until I found the broken vacuum hose to the turbo. After fixing it little or nothing changed and still idling rough (not too bad, like a Subaru or boxer engine). Performed a compression test and got about 150 psi (conpression tester is missing the check valve so it doesn't save the pressure) on cylinders 1, 2, *and 4 and 30 psi on cylinder 3. Tried again with some oil and the compression did not changed. Now my question is : does this sounds more like a valve problem or a cracked piston? And how can I check it?

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
Hi. I bought my 2nd Saab a few weeks ago (2003 9-3 aero with 78K miles) for what I thought was a good deal bc of the leak on the heater bypass valve. When driving the car home it got a little hot, added more water and it run fine. After replacing the valve notice high pressure on the reservoir. Bad head gasket! Run some blue devil gasket sealer through it and fix the problem :) but I noticed irregular idle. The check engine light came on with the codes p1549 (charge air malfunction) and p1303 (missfire on cylinder 3) and drove it for about 100 miles until I found the broken vacuum hose to the turbo. After fixing it little or nothing changed and still idling rough (not too bad, like a Subaru or boxer engine). Performed a compression test and got about 150 psi (conpression tester is missing the check valve so it doesn't save the pressure) on cylinders 1, 2, *and 4 and 30 psi on cylinder 3. Tried again with some oil and the compression did not changed. Now my question is : does this sounds more like a valve problem or a cracked piston? And how can I check it?
Bad piston for sure, its never valves

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Is there such a thing as a easy fix for this? I have a baby coming next week and won't have time to do it myself and can't afford a mechanic bill.
May have to sell it as is at a huge loss or part it out and try to get my money back :( very sad, it's a gorgeous car!

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'm afraid there's no easy quick or cheap fix for it. You will need to strip down the engine to see what's actually happening inside.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will try to fix it!

Took it to a mechanic and he look into the cylinder with an endoscope and he did not see any damage to the piston. Next week he'll pull the cylinder head out to see what is going on.

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
Took it to a mechanic and he look into the cylinder with an endoscope and he did not see any damage to the piston. Next week he'll pull the cylinder head out to see what is going on.
These pistons are weak at the ring landings. They usually crack there You will not see that with a scope. Pull the head and see. I have replacesd pistons in car before pretty simple.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Piston is fine

So... The mechanic finally got the head out and saw the piston in good shape. Tomorrow he's taking tha head to the machine shop and see what they find out.
Is it worth it to replace the timing chain? I can see some wear to the plastic guides. It would add only about $150 or so to the job.

·
Registered
150 Posts
HI, I cant believe that a (Qualified) mechanic would go to the trouble and expense of removing the head to check out a leak. Why did he not do a cylinder pressure test?
Inside of 25 min you would have your answer. If it is head gasket or valve or piston for that matter.

Sheees can't believe what I have just read.

Sorry you have had that expense just for the diagnosis.

Regards,
John

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ehaust valve

The problem was a hole on one o the exhaust valves on cylinder 3. I guess caused by runing lean due to the broken vacuum hose to the turbo.
Has anybody had this before?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts