SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
9-3 Aero

No CEL or other warnings, drives smoothly with no other symptoms other than reduced power and boost. It's like driving a 2.0i NA! Boost gauge doesn't pass the half-way mark.

Booked in with dealer next week, but in the meantime they have suggested I have a quick look for loose hoses etc.

Any guidance on where to look or link to pictures even?

Thanks,

Aero.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Fan Fuse

Check the fuse for the fan...I had a collision a while back, they replaced the intercooler and other parts, and couldn't figure out why there was limited boost. It was the fan fuse that was burned...a safety mechanism prevents the turbo from burining out when the fan is not operational. My two cents. Good luck.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting, I'll check after work and report back.

Thank you.

(The car was functioning normally, then I was held up at some lights for 2 or 3 mins and after that boost went pear-shaped, so to speak).

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well everything seems to be normal again. I just jumped back in the car after work and all seems fine.

I guess I'll just see what happens.

Thanks for your responses.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Check your oil level as well. The SID threw an oil low indicator - I was down 1.5 qts, and boost pressure was reduced until I added oil. I think it's one of the ECU's ways of protecting the turbo.

...scared the he*l out of me, but all was fine afterwards.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Have had that continous problem for months now. Dealer changed the ECU, changed the wastegate , and many things. Car was good for a little while until a week or so ago, where i lost boost once again...

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
No boost - with BSR

I will re-use this thread, because the symptoms sound similar and also because this thread did not receive a conclusive answer.

For the second time in less than a month the engine has lost the boost.
First time I was more concerned than puzzled, so I did not manage to note anything special apart from an apparent lost in power. (mine's a 1,8t, so no boost gauge)
I did an update with PPC Sync and re-tuned the car. And all was fine.

This morning, while charging (not too hard as angine was not warm yet) an uphill onramp, I noticed that there was a drop in the momentum just at the top of the slope. And when trying to accelerate harder I realised that there was no boost.

So, the boost dropped during a mid throttle acceleration with some load, what can be learned from this? A faulty boost controller somewhere?

Car facts:
2003 9-3 SS, 1.8t Automatic
BSR Stage 1, with an upgrade a few months ago.

Never changed any valves or boost regulators.

Ideas?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Mine has done it twice with the Vtune (16psi), no CEL though. Same symptoms as stated above going on the on-ramp. Usually a shut off and start back up fixes the issue. But there has got to be a reason it is doing it.

Unfortunately I have gone back to stock rigth now to get some other things fixed. My stock boost pressure is 6psi.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi fellow Saabsters!

I have experienced similar problems with bsr stage 2 and 133 000km. I have replaced sparkplugs, cleaned my maf and optiflow + replaced magnetic boost valve. It's that valve just next to turbo heatshield with 3 silicon hoses and electric connector going to it. Part number is 12787706, no problems afterwards. Also boosts much smoother and more stable with that new valve. Theres also an exact same valve under the black plastic engine cover, but haven't replaced that yet since there's no problem.

We have also a similar thread in our saabclub.fi forums, and one guy had a cel: "P0244 Turbo/Super Sharger Wastegate Solenoid "A"
Range/Performance"

He has been in contact with bsr, and they claimed that Saab has an software update also for that cel-code.

Hope this helps!

Toni Hurmalainen
Finland

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Hi fellow Saabsters!

I have experienced similar problems with bsr stage 2 and 133 000km. I have replaced sparkplugs, cleaned my maf and optiflow + replaced magnetic boost valve. It's that valve just next to turbo heatshield with 3 silicon hoses and electric connector going to it. Part number is 12787706, no problems afterwards. Also boosts much smoother and more stable with that new valve. Theres also an exact same valve under the black plastic engine cover, but haven't replaced that yet since there's no problem.

We have also a similar thread in our saabclub.fi forums, and one guy had a cel: "P0244 Turbo/Super Sharger Wastegate Solenoid "A"
Range/Performance"

He has been in contact with bsr, and they claimed that Saab has an software update also for that cel-code.

Hope this helps!

Toni Hurmalainen
Finland
Thanks, Toni!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Update: Ran the car original for a while, and no problems. Re-tuned and after a short while the problem re-occured. This morning I even got a CEL, and garage confirmed it is code P0244.

With all this in mind, my main suspect is the BCV, and I will order this asap.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Update: Ran the car original for a while, and no problems. Re-tuned and after a short while the problem re-occured. This morning I even got a CEL, and garage confirmed it is code P0244.

With all this in mind, my main suspect is the BCV, and I will order this asap.
All of you need to order the Boost Control Valve part #12787706. It clips on top of the wastegate and takes 10 minutes to change out (3 hoses and an electrical connector) . Plus it can had for around $60 bucks shipped. My car was over boosting but changing this part fixed it. Other threads on here about loosing boost are what directed me to the BCV. Good luck boys! :cheesy:

·
Registered
4 Posts
2004 9-3 Aero Boost

My boost gauge only goes to the middle as well, feels like it should be getting more. I don't know if that's how these cars are, never had one. Anyway, wondering if the BCV could be causing it, along with the wastegate actuator.

Any thoughts?:evil:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts