SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 99 9-5 SE, and when the driver low beam went out, i just replaced the orang relay since i knew it was a common issue. well now both the driver and passenger low beams are out, but the high beams work when clicked on. I just spent the last few days checking continuity and voltages, i have 12+ at 56b on the relay box, but no power to the fuses, 9 and 7. I do have continuity between the orange relay and the fuses though. what could be causing this issue? Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
343 Posts
don't laugh it happened to me.

I would check the wiring harness that goes from the car into the trunk. You could have cracked wiring covers that are touching and causing the head lights to short out.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Did you check power to the light switch? Do you have the DRL active?
I own a 99 9-5 SE, and when the driver low beam went out, i just replaced the orang relay since i knew it was a common issue. well now both the driver and passenger low beams are out, but the high beams work when clicked on. I just spent the last few days checking continuity and voltages, i have 12+ at 56b on the relay box, but no power to the fuses, 9 and 7. I do have continuity between the orange relay and the fuses though. what could be causing this issue? Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
If your getting DRL's your headlight should be good I would look at the switch; And you're sure the headlights are the DRL;s and not the #194 wedge bulbs in the headlights?

Yes, drls have been active, but I have not checked power to the switch.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Also check the lead contacts on the bulbs for making a short, I had a similar problem and turned out the lead contacts was the culprit. They compress over the years and flatten out. Just trim with a knife.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Yes It does.

Ultimately the tail lights are connected to the light switch that is why a short in the trunk wiring can cause a problem with your head lights. It is very easy to check the trunk wiring. The plastic mounting piece is actually on the trunk lid on the left drivers side. The clips that hold it in are on the side just push a small flat screw drive blade apply a little pressure not to break and pull is should pop out. It is actually the round tube end of this mounting piece that seems to cut the wires because it has a sharp edge. I am not at home right now but I have some really good pictures I will try to upload tonight so you can see what mine looked like.

Where does the wire start at? And end up at, ie. from the light switch or what?

Thanks for the response

1 - 9 of 9 Posts