SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning to you all, I have been a watcher from the distance that past year and a half and learned a lot of valuable information from you all, and I thought I would share a couple of my experiences with you.

The best way to start is my purchase of a 2000 Aero with four months of service left on the warranty from a dealership to remain un-named.

I probably cannot name all the service I have had done after the warranty was up, but here is the short list:

In replacing the brakes all the way around, I learned that this un-named dealership had installed Saturn L-Series disc brakes on the front of my Aero!!!!! :evil: This may be a close match between the Saturn and the regular 9-5, but not my damn Aero with disks about 1" bigger. I drove over 35,000 KM with the wrong front brakes, and only a portion of the pad was actually on the disc!!!! Upon confrontation with the owner of the dealership, he denied it, then tried to tell me about the employee not working there anymore to punish him. And no restitution to me for the wrong brakes. Thanks for nothing. :x

Other things like the car dying from a poor D.I.C., then turned out it was a faulty crank sensor and I was able to retain my original D.I.C. and save the $$$. Now the check engine error codes still want a new D.I.C. and the car is smart enough to keep asking for the new D.I.C.

How about the 9 hours in labour to service the heat exchanger off the heater core into the climate controls in the dash? I appreciate that a little unknown service kit package was available or the un-named dealership would have tried to replace the whole climate control system. Thanks for nothing. :x

What's new you ask? How about never engine shampoo your Saab, please never engine shampoo your Saab. Learn from me. I was detailing mine one Friday night, getting it to shine real nice, and left the engine hood open to cool down while buffing the body. My buddy with good intentions decided to start on the engine with cleaning solutions, and before I could stop him had the whole compartment soaked. He even went nuts on the positive battery post that was corroded. Guess what sensitive equipment is behind the battery? I have learned that the module responsible for the ABS and traction control is down there, and must have been damaged from the engine cleaner because it has not come around after "professional" tender love and care. One side note for you guys to learn for your Saabs, while this module has been sick, it lights up the dash warning lights related and turns off the spedo to 0 km/h, but you may be interested to know that the odometer does not move with no speed registered. Take that information as you see fit.

And not to discuss the depreciated value of my Saab now because there was another forum about it. With the normal per year depreciation and my highway kilometers driven of about 35,000 to 40,000, my value was cut in half from CAD $30,000 down to hopefull CAD $15,000 in about 18 months.

I don't think I can finacially take any more rewards, no matter how much I love the car, how much I enjoy driving it or how safe I feel in the car at my "unsafe" highway speeds.

For all you others with good experiences, treasure them, for I was the 1% of the bunch that had my human tailpipe stretched beyond repair.

Take care and happy motoring.
Dennis

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Dennis, sorry to hear your ownership has been so painful. Re your wrong brake discs fitted, the company who's fits them is liable not the fitter, so you definately have some recourse to them. It seems in your ownership you've had 3 well documented things go wrong, the DI, CPS and the ACC heat exchanger. Its a bit unfair to blame the car for your friend shampooing the engine, i suggest a good kick in the testicles is in order. ;) If the cars running sweet now, why get rid of it? You've taken the depreciation hit, why let somebody else pick up a decent Aero for silly money? Drive it into the ground and put your money away for the next buy.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Kermits 9-5 said:
Drive it into the ground and put your money away for the next buy.
That's my theory on car ownership. :cheesy: Drive til it costs more to run per month than a brand new car.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Valid points, but I might be able to lease Ruf 911 Turbo for $1,000 per month plus maintenance and repairs LOL

The un-named dealership installed undersized Saturn disks on the Aero before I purchased it to save money. Then lied to me about it, trying to blame an employee that's gone, then just telling me to piss off? Not the way that Saab Canada or Saab International would like to see their cars represented I would think?

Honestly, driving the car past warranty service date is too dangerous for me now. Still need to investigate the D.I.C. and ABS modules, and in the short future I see front sway bars, the centre console information screen is losing pixels, and I haven't investigated the condition of the stock air filter, perhaps worth the K&N cone as discussed other places. One bad rim and a second far from good, should look into replacements to improve the ride and handling.

To cut my losses now before the final knock out punch takes my teeth is a likely option.

X

·
0 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Dennis cut your losses, this car will haunt you other wise, its takes absolutely ages for an unreliable car to be "believed" as reliable again, you will be constantly worrying over each and every fault and noise.

You seem already convinced, get rid ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I hear ya. Meeting with my mechanic friend Wednesday night with an updated scan tool to read the codes. Hope to investigate the ABS/traction control sensor damage, possible replacement new or used. And there was a link to esaabparts I saw earlier where they had a test procedure for the DIC cassette, I'll let the mechanic get involved with that, otherwise I'll source out one of those too. And the center console information unit was pretty cheap too, might help in selling the car if all digits are readable.

To all Saab brothers, learn to be handy on your cars because they are a tempermental as women LOL

Dennis

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just spoke with another Saab dealership, an estimate for the ABS / Traction control module that is located just behind the battery is approx. CAD$5,200

Who thinks I should have a sledge-a-rama fundraiser with the damn car?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Shmoo17 said:
Just spoke with another Saab dealership, an estimate for the ABS / Traction control module that is located just behind the battery is approx. CAD$5,200

Who thinks I should have a sledge-a-rama fundraiser with the damn car?
Have you looked into buying a used unit from a salvage yard? http://www.car-part.com might have something listed. As far as the sledgehammer fest, we've done this in the past...$10 for 5 swings and all the keg beer you can drink. :cheesy:

Gonna take a lot of people though to make up for the cost of the car. But in all seriousness...why not try to find a used one?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am at the mercy of the Norse Gods on this one, the chance of finding an Aero in the junk yard withing 500 miles will be tough, but I have to look... any tips and points I get from informed people here will be greatly appreciated.

I am going to browse your link now and see what I can find, thanks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here we go to the super users with an update, what do you think?

The Scan tool has generated some error codes, a couple to do with the D.I.C. of course which I can easily replace. I'd like to ask you guys about code P1925 NO BUS DATA FROM TC/ABS... The dash has the Brake, ABS, TCS OFF, and EXCLAMATION warning lights all on, and the speedo is back at zero.

So my Saab mechanic spent the time testing each point of the bus line, around the T7, around the TC/ABS module, and around the MIU in the dash. All were fine. What he did find was connector H 42-5 on the fire wall was corroded with build up, so he cleaned and dried it properly and went on with the testing.

My thanks to all who supply ideas, this riddle needs to be solved and I sure hope it isn't one of the expensive modules involved.

Dennis

1 - 12 of 12 Posts