SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, for a while now, I get a loud squeal from my 9000CD every once in a while. It used to be every time I started up and then pulled out of my garage, it would squeal for about 3 seconds, then be fine. After a while, it turned to squealing for about 10 seconds after I got down the street a little. Now, I recall it squealing out of nowhere right in the middle of driving once or twice. Is this a serious issue? I hope there is no belt friction or anything. Please help!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Turn the AC on and off to rule out the compressor or comp pulley.

Then look at the idler pulley and tensioner pulleys of the drive belt system. Its sometimes hard to trace, I had a squeal which was easy to hear, but I couldn't isolate, even with a listening tube. So I went the cheapest and easiest first route. Replaced the idller pulley, which just requires loosening the belt and one bolt on the pulley, and it was fixed.

If thats not it, then take the belt off and feel for stiffness in all of the pulleys, power steering, water pump, etc.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
abusot said:
Turn the AC on and off to rule out the compressor or comp pulley.
Well, my AC doesn't work anyway so we can rule that out.

[QYOTE=abusot]If thats not it, then take the belt off and feel for stiffness in all of the pulleys, power steering, water pump, etc.[/QUOTE]

I'll talk to my friend about replacing that idler pulley. How much to fix approx.?

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Older crank pulleys were a two piece design with a rubber isolator to create a harmonic balancer. These two piece pulleys would eventually begin to separate at the rubber isolator causing intermittent squealing. Best to replace the pulley with the newer design before it flies apart.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Is it related to having the throttle fairly open?

If so check the exhaust manifold studs.... I've had two 9000's where the upper right stud (looking from front) has broken allowing gasses to escape under pressure and causing this sound. It can dissapear later as the enginee heats up and the gap closes with expansion of the metal, as it did on my CD Carlsson. If the blow is bad enough it may carry on at all times, as it did on my Aero.
A friend with a 9-5 Aero auto has recently had this also and it escaped the Saab indy that he took it to to diagnose:cheesy:
Even if the studs are all present, take a look for black soot around the manifold as a tell tale of gasses escaping.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts