SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just in the past week or two i have been starting to notice that whenever i go over a small trivial bump in the road (most noticeably manhole covers), my front right wheel makes a loud ugly thud sound, almost sounding as if the wheel is going to fall off. the ride seems normal and smooth and the thud does not seem be there whatsoever over larger things like speed bumps when i take them at normal speed. the tires are inflated to the proper psi. anybody have any ideas? i am stumped although admittedly that doesn't say much...

G

·
I have the same problem, ordered new strut mounts from partsforsaab last week. Will mount them together with polybrushes next weekend and hope it helps.

Seems like a regular problem as it's mentioned in the NG900 second hand buyers guide at this site.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
No, I do not think it is urgent ( but ensure that the wheel is properly mounted !)- I had to replace the mounts and strut inserts several times in the old VW Golf( every 50 to 80K miles).

Fair amount of labor( 1 to 2 hr per side), I'd guess about $200 or less for all the parts, both sides. eEuroParts is, IMO, a good source..

Also check your chassis bolts and all rubber bushings and the joints..

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
If it really is a strut, it's decently pricey but you shouldn't ignore it. You could do it yourself but depending on what tools you already have, it's less hassle to have someone else do it. You will need to replace both struts so that you have the same level of damping on each side of the car.

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Keep in mind that undamped forces on the car's chassis will stress other components. As far as price goes, eeuro or shox.com are probably your cheapest bets for Sachs/Boge OEM replacements. However, KYB, which is a gas shock that is a Japanese alternative to Bilstein, is cheapest at tirerack.com. Somewhere, somebody on here once said that KYB was notorius for leaks. I've had mine on for at least 50-60k miles now and they're fine...

As for price, it varies by who you go to. I had one place quote me $630 for front and back.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok so i went to a mechanic that i thought looked a little dodgy (i just happened to be driving by so i wanted an estimate) and they suggested it's just the mountings due to the car being a 99 and having 75000miles on it. after looking, they said it's the front right strut as well as the mounting. to change both front struts and the mounting he quoted me 400 dollars. here is where it gets interesting. i had time to take it to my regular mechanic for a second opinion today. i trust him and he has worked on my car many times and he says it's only the bushings, but he also quoted me 400 dollars. he works on saabs and volvos only and has always given me good work at a fair price but i'm not sure this sounds right. i did just catch him as he was closing his shop today and he did say he wasn't sure of the price off hand but guessed about 400-450. oh and to clarify since i am not a very handy guy when it comes to cars, by bushing, would you think he meant mounting?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Obi Rob Kenobi said:
anybody? bueller?
Tis vital for a non-DIY man to establish a good working relationship with his mechanic.. After this is done, then why waste time going to cheaper places ???

The mount assembly consists of bushings, bearings and rubber pieces(Bump stops)..
Considering the 1 to 2 hours labor for each side, I think it also pays to change the insert..

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I replaced both my front strut plates about a month ago.

Total price: $362.50
Labor: 2 hr @ $50 --> $100
Strut plates: 2 @ $85 --> $170
Strut bearings: 2 @ $40 --> $80
Tax: $12.50

Hope this helps. All this was done by my indy mechanic.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thank you all, i just wanted to see if things sounded right. i will be hopefully making a trip to my mechanic thursday morning and dropping a few hundred dollars but should leave with that awful sound gone from my wheels and possibly an improved ride, not that i noticed it lacking lately.

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Sorry, I did mine myself. But I can tell you I sweated a lot. If that's any measure of labor...:cheesy:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts