SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi on my 9000 when car isnt running and i turn the steering wheels back and forth there is a clonk comes from it , its not the tie rod ends there new , is the steering rack goosed , or is it my steering colum with the universal joints?

·
Registered
1 Posts
loud clonk from steering rack

I have the same problem. Did you find the answer? I have checked all swivels and joints but can't find anything wrong. If I take the weight of the wheels it stops.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had a similar issue in my '94 9k, turns out one or more of the spot welds that hold the steering rack brace/clamp (the part that you physically bolt to the subframe) to the actual rack had broken, resulting in severe side-to-side motion of the rack when loaded while moving the wheel side to side (and like you mentioned, no noise when on jack stands).

I replaced ball joints, tie rods, rear control arm bushings and the like in an effort to solve the problem, but it wasn't until I finally looked at the rack while an assistant moved the steering wheel back and forth that I realized what was happening. Of course, replacing a steering rack in a 9k isn't the most fun, but it did solve my problem. Hope this helps.

-Bryan

·
Registered
48 Posts
I should clarify: when you watch the steering rack from above the car (plenty of light helps), there will be some side-to-side motion resulting from the inherent give in the steering rack bushes. Mine, however, displayed significant side-to-side motion (1/2" or more), and would occasionally "load up" and then suddenly release, resulting in the unpleasant noise described.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts