SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great site! I've really come to value the comments and suggestions. Is anyone else experiencing a loud humming noise when the AC is on? Seems to be coming from the AC compressor when it turns on. Most noticeable when braked at stop lights. Any insights would be much appreciated.

Good driving!

·
Registered
9 Posts
docvan said:
Great site! I've really come to value the comments and suggestions. Is anyone else experiencing a loud humming noise when the AC is on? Seems to be coming from the AC compressor when it turns on. Most noticeable when braked at stop lights. Any insights would be much appreciated.

Good driving!
I noticed right away that my AC is noisy. It's quieted down a bit since I got the car, but you could hear the compressor whine every time it kicked in. I do believe I also here the hum you mention, but only faintly and occasionally. I just chalk it up to the design of the unit.

·
Registered
97 Posts
weird... my mom's 2002 impreza also made some kinda noise every few minutes when it is turned on. Must be the compressor. Is it like a hiss?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still Humming

No it's not fan noise or hissing. It sounds closer to a hum or rubbing of some kind. It's not real noticeable unless the car is in drive and braked. It's not very noticeable from the outside either (very noticeable when seated). Sounds like it’s coming from behind the glove box, where I assume the HVAC is hooked up (goes on/off every few seconds).

The impreza hissing I've heard of before. I believe it has to do with the power of the compressors air intake. The only advice I've herd is to try to keep intake as free from dust and bugs as possible to allow for better air flow (periodic cleaning):roll: .

·
Registered
30 Posts
My car has this humming/rubbing sound as well when the AC is turned on. Guess it's a normal thing. It kinda freaked me out as well when I first started noticing it yet. I figured I'd wait a little while and see if it was just something that had to "break in" but I guess it's normal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts