SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My beloved black 900 Carlsson's engine has finally bought the farm after 206,000 miles. Whilst driving home on Thursday the guy behind me started flashing his headlights at me and looking in my rear view mirror i could see why. The smoke billowing out of the exhaust made it look like was driving the Batmobile! My machanic has said that its the head gasket and as sad as it is the girlfriend has said that i can spend no more money (2000 in the last 6 months) on the car and i must now get some kind of family economical diesel type ugly thingy, even so though, what kind of money am i looking at to get her back on the road if i decide not to sell her? and if i were to get this done James Bond styley and her not find out what kind of stuff could i do (and rough prices) to make the old girl shall we say less than stock? any help would be helpful as i've had a couple of offers for the car and i go back to work next week. Thanks and someone light a candle for her as i have :cry:

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
You could do a head gasket yourself for less than $200(US) including the gaskets and getting the head surfaced at a machine shop. The condition of your head and the existence of any cracks will add to that. Although a decent used head is pretty cheap.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
don't for a second think that i haven't already thought of that...it would certainly be cheaper :confused:

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
I find that if I want to loosen the clenched fists a little on my car budget, I just keep closer tabs on how many pairs of new shoes are coming into the house.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Its sad that people just want cars that get them from A to B, a car isnt just transportation... its a way of life:cheesy:

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Not true at all. I believe fully that cars are basic A-B transportation. That's all my Saabs are to me. Of course, I would only A-B transport myself in a Saab. This is why I drive C900's though. I have found that they can be had for a few hundred dollars and will last a good 40K before fully going under with little if few repairs. All it takes is a little ingenuity and a blind eye and you can run these cars on the super cheap long for a long time.

It may not make me the most appreciated Saab lover, as my cars are often somewhat dodgy, but I do love these cars. My current beast is 25k into its life with me and I've put less than $500 into including purchase. (although it really does needs an exhaust and a tranny service). I may not treat my Saabs that great, but they are treating me amazingly.

New cars suck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The fiance (she has just told me off for calling her a 'girlfriend!) has unfortunatley read these posts so i think i might have to keep the car after all and move into it :lol:

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Loyd i agree with you. I'm obsessed with Saab now. so for me its a way of life, just like for some people baseball cars, computers, and/or little toy cars. this car has had a small change on my life, never thought i could love a car so much, i go driving in it for no reason sometimes, and love every minute of it:D

as for the headgasket, my saab guy here says the job is $800cnd and he is a saab master. i'm sure i vould get it done wiht my under the table mechanic for half of that or a touch more. look around, you would be surprised!

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
One day the girls in the office were talking about alternative therapies - aromatherapy, reiki, yoga and all that stuff. I replied that my path was the Saab way, and that it was a way of life. For some reason they found this hilarious :confused: ;) . Anyway, since then it has been my signature on here. Given how much time I spend in or under the car, and how much time I am on here, I think it's fair to say that Saab is a way of life. :cheesy:

By the way, headgasket can be up to 10 hours labour :eek: . Personally I would not be confident doing one myself, but then I'm not exactly the world's greatest mechanic.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
adamclub said:
The fiance (she has just told me off for calling her a 'girlfriend!) has unfortunatley read these posts so i think i might have to keep the car after all and move into it :lol:
Ouch! Good luck with that. So what's one head gasket every 200k? Most problems with these cars are normal wear and tear, its just that so many of them get sold because things are starting to wear. You buy a new car and it will immediately start depreciating in value. A c900 will only appreciate in value from this point. I think decent ones have hit their bottom end price more or less. So by fixing the car you are not putting money into a pit, you are investing in your pit and adding to its value.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Seriously, if you've spent 2000 quid on this car (and the Carlsson is a desirable machine, to be sure), then it must be in very good nick now. A few hundred more for the head gasket is surely more sensible than selling the car--and much cheaper than buying something else.

Of course, if you were to sell the car at a later date, having it in running condition would fetch a higher price, no? Run the numbers by your lady--she'll come 'round :cool:

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Jezzadee said:
One day the girls in the office were talking about alternative therapies - aromatherapy, reiki, yoga and all that stuff. I replied that my path was the Saab way, and that it was a way of life.
Honestly, this is how I justified the Saab -- and my wife bought into it!!

For me the Saab is a third car -- strictly for fun and as a hobby fixing it, SaabCentral-ing, etc. I was seriously down in the dumps for a while for many reasons, and one of them is that my primary vehicle is a company-owned Ford Taurus (I can see that you're all jealous!!), and it is boring. She asked what it would take, and I said 'an old Saab 900' and she said 'look into it'.

So, she wanted me to have the Saab because it was like therapy for me.

Hmm... this also may support the idea of a new lady rather than a new car. Take your pick.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Way of Life?

I can honestly say that when Mrs Rodentmaster has the 900 and I have the rodents and the Honda CRV, I am tortured.

Just last week when Mrs R was late getting home with the 900, I was worrying for her safe return as the hours went on........................................................

but I also worried about the wife as well............:cheesy:

Hmm, seriously, I am always checking the classifieds for C900's. I just don't want to ever think of a time when these cars start to become uneconomical to maintain and keep the family as well.

Like eggsngrits, I wasn't pleased to see the '86 900 EMS 2dr go. There was a definate vacuum leftover....
the lack of 'hands on' tinkering, no more of the hand built 30 mm thick parcel shelf that took 2 months to hand craft and customise, the supurb Infinity Kappa speakers that reigned in that parcel shelf, the sound proofing to tune the acoustics of the boot, no more beautiful gearbox whine, that distinctive SAAB interior scent and strangley, I missed the feel and grip of the steering wheel. Little odd things like these seem to make an incredible difference to one's motoring enjoyment.
Sadly it had to go because rodent no.1 came along. We bought the CRV.......good car but not a SAAB. But thankfully a chance to get back into the SAAB fold could not be passed up.
I love the '93 5dr but I do miss having a boot and the look, stance of the pre '87 front end.

Long Live the Classics!;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For those of you even remotely interested i managed to find a way to keep the car and the fiance!!!!!!!:D :cheesy: :D :cheesy: :D :cheesy:

You were all right, after spending so much money on her previously i've decided to go all out and make it the best Carlsson that i can afford and get all of the small niggly things sorted in one hit. I'm very excited. The mere thought of not driving her was just too much to bear so here i go again. If i get the chance i'll post some pics of the progress and i might even stretch to making it to the German meet if possible.

Thanks for the wise words and yes...long live the classics!!

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
Book time for the headgasket job is ten hours.

With almost no experience of working on any car, I managed to do the headgasket job on my 1988 T16 with full success. Car started first time afterwards and ran fine for the next 25,000 miles when I sold it. Even if you're an inexperienced car owner, you can do the job with the proper research; mechanical sympathy; a knowledge of how to properly use tools properly; a methodical approach and (most importantly), time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts