SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the fool that knowingly drove my Saab that came with only one key FOB since purchasing it 2 years ago. The bad news is I lost my keys. The mildly good news is I found them. Mildly because I have the metal key insert. I found my keys in my adolescent dog's crate. He had chewed the FOB and chip inside to bits. :nono;
So...
I am currently replacing the CIM module on my 2006 9-3 2.0T sedan. I purchased an ignition switch, and an entire steering column from a totalled 2004 same model. Everything was going fine with my DIY replacement until I noticed a discrepancy in the clock spring of the donor CIM.
My original clock spring indicator (little yellow dot) is lined up in the center of the crescent moon gap as it is supposed to be in my 2006 saab. The replacement CIM's clock spring shows the little yellow dot all the way to the left. Should I rotate the replacement CIM past the point of resistance to make the dot go to the center indicator?
The yellow dot in my original clock spring/ cim moves from side to side when I rotate the the clock spring. The yellow dot does not move in the replacement, eventually coming to a point of resistance that has give to it. The original clock spring when I rotate it, comes to more of a stopping point rather than a point of resistance.
This brings me to the first part of my question; The replacement of my CIM and ignition switch is due to my losing the only key fob for my vehicle. The 2 have to be paired in order to start the car. If I were to put the clock spring from my original CIM into the replacement CIM, would it obstruct the relay process in the replacement parts?

The second part is... I bought the ignition switch ($250) and the entire steering column, minus the airbag ($180) from a salvage company. I have to have both to get my car to start according to the research I have done. As you can imagine, the salvage place doesn't warrant anything. Should I attempt to swap clock springs? Or, should I install the replacement CIM as is? What problems will I encounter with these scenarios?

Another question is this; if I am successful in transplanting the CIM, will my car function properly or even start?

Lastly...how do I replace/swap the clock spring on my 2006 Saab 9 3? It has been sitting far to long. I am driving a work truck in the meantime, and I feel the need for speed....and comfort. I miss my car. Please help.
Here are images of the two CIM's one is a close up of the 2006 with dot in middle the others are of replacement parts
http://imgur.com/a/ZcAxU#0

·
Registered
28 Posts
You are going to need to have the car towed to any dealer or shop that has a tech 2 computer to re marry your new CIM to the rest of your car.. I know this because I broke my key a while back and had to do the same thing. So as long as you know for a fact that the new key matches the new CIM. Should be about an hour to an hour and a half job for your dealer. Hope this helped!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are going to need to have the car towed to any dealer or shop that has a tech 2 computer to re marry your new CIM to the rest of your car.. I know this because I broke my key a while back and had to do the same thing. So as long as you know for a fact that the new key matches the new CIM. Should be about an hour to an hour and a half job for your dealer. Hope this helped!
It does, thank you. It is definitely a paired key and cim. Do you know anything about my clock spring issue by chance?
What can I expect to pay, ballpark at the shop?

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
I am fairly certain you only need the CIM and a known paired Fob in order to get this all working again with some Tech 2 work. Places by me are around $125/hr for that. You should look at the Tech 2 Clone sticky, maybe an owner with a clone Tech 2 is close enough to you to assist at a lower cost than a shop.

Not sure about the clock spring issue. There are a few different CIM's with different part numbers and IIRC one of the differences is TCS (Traction Control System) VS ESP (Electronic Stability Program) so you need the correct model CIM (I think). Forum member dzlsabe based on his posts seems very experienced with CIM issues you might want to PM for tips about the CIM and clock spring.

His website http://www.dzlsabe.com

·
Registered
10 Posts
So I have a 2005 saab 9-3 2.0T. Lost my key and my spare broke shortly after missing the inside components. So I didn't want to pay the dealer costs. So instead found a locksmith computer wiz to hack into my cim and was able to program a new key for me. Cost me 500 bucks. After all said and done the car started then died right away. He to of me to get it towed to the dealer and they should be able to fix the issue by programming a new key using the new one he made. The key he made won't start the car but it will turn on the radio and power my windows. Does anyone have any input? I'm running out of money and I'm about to go insane. Thanks

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
If the key turns to start position and engine won't turn over you may have a battery problem. I assume key will turn to run position based on your post but will it turn to start?

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's what I though aswell. So bought a brand new battery. Still nothing so had it towed to a hyundia dealer with saab mechanics. The key the lock smith made only was supposed to work on the ignition, not to remotely lock/unlock the car. Even the dealer can't fig out why

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just don't understand how it would start and run for 10sec and then die. It then said that the key could not be read, but why would it still turn on my lights and turn on all the electrical windows ect. I truthfully love my car but I'm going crazy

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Need more info so we can try to help.

Does key turn to all positions?

Does engine crank but not start?

Does steering wheel unlock?

If key does not turn, get locksmith back to re do whatever they did.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Key unlocks steering, it does turn all the way, it does not crank it's completely silent when I try and start it. And thanks for the help

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
I would test to make sure your starter motor is working. Look at this PDF file it will let you bypass starter relay to test starter motor. Just remove relay #8 and make a switch jumper between the two large terminals as shown in PDF. You don't need to do anything else in the PDF. If it cranks you may have a bad relay #8 (rare), an ECU issue or something else still with the CIM.

https://app.box.com/s/7t66oz1j6i5j5w06yv03

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Forgot to ask is this a manual or auto transmission? Could be a neutral safety switch issue. If an auto try starting in neutral?

·
Registered
10 Posts
So I called the lock smith and he told me to disconnect the battery then reconnect the battery. Then I should cycle the key on and off about 20 times. I mean this guy was brilliant with how he created a new key for me. The key does turn to all positions. But with a new battery you would think that it would at least make a struggling sound to start instead of absolute silence. I'm thinking it might have something to do with the security system because the red light on my dash blinks like crazy when the key is in the ignition

·
Registered
10 Posts
So that could be why it died right after starting it. I'll call the dealer tomorrow and see if there's any further progress thanks a lot greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's what the lock smith said but the dealer claims there's nothing they can do and they want me to purchase a new cim. ****in *******s are probably try to get money

1 - 20 of 21 Posts