SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm looking at a 9-5 that has no keys. But it so happens I have a parts car with the twice module, one key, ignition switch and door handle. If I swap this stuff over is it plug and play? Or will I still need a Tech II.

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Definately Tech2 time -- The Radio, DICE, TWICE, Instrument cluster and ECU all need to agree for everything to work, and only the Radio won't shut down the engine. Even a mis-matched instrument cluster will shut down the engine!

Probably easier answer is to get a couple cut keys for the VIN of the car from any of the on-line sellers (eeuroparts or thesaabsite among others) at about $40 each and save the trouble of pulling the door, trunk and ignition locks.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok,

Well I bought the 9-5 with no keys. Door is locked cannot get in. I took the TWICE, ignition switch, key and transponder above the ignition switch out of my parts car. I will swap it over once I get the new car unlocked.

I am working on getting the door handle off too. Should have that off tonight.

I do not have the ecu from the parts car, is that going to be an issue?

I have a buddy with a tech II, he can sync the twice to the car for me. Is there a detailed procedure for that? Or is it pretty straight forward? I have not used a tech II before.

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
I'd seriously think about:

1: order two new keys cut to the new cars' VIN. That'll open the door, trunk and ignition. you won't have to change them. Get the guts to the new type 2 keys and put them together.

now you can open the door!

2: swap out the TWICE. pull the detection circuit from around the key but leave it plugged in laying on the seat. use one of the new keys in the ignition, put the key from the TWICE from the donor car into the detector, turn the car on. the TWICE thinks that the old key just turned the car on.

3: use the Tech 2 to marry the TWICE to the car

4: use the Tech 2 to add more keys. The first one you use the key that works with the twice. Follow the directions, push the buttons, wait for the seatbelt light to go off. At that point turn the ignition off using the new key, pull it out. pull the TWICE key out of the sensor, put the sensor back where it belong and then turn the car back on with one of the new keys. Marry it, then marry the "third" key.

you'll now have three keys married to the car. One that won't turn the ignition switch and two that will. Put the one that won't turn the ignition switch into the glove box (can't hurt, it doesn't work) and keep the other two. and if you lose those two keys then you can do the same thing again.

The benefit here is that you don't need to change the ignition cylinder, the door lock, the glovebox lock and the trunk lock since the new keys that you bought are keyed to the vehicle. (oh, and if you ever need another key you can just order it up instead of finding an uncut blank and having someone risk screwing it up)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.