SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone

Whilst putting air in the tyres this evening the 9-5 has developed a bit of a problem...she won't start and is parked up at the local petrol station. Pulled up at the airline fine and turned her off. Filled the tyres with air and went to start her back up again. The instrument cluster flickered on and off for about a second and then died. The car will not turn over now. Checked the battery terminals and they are tight as can be.

Any advice. Im thinking either the alternator has packed up or its the battery that is causing the problems? There have been no previous problems with the electrics over the past few days

Many thanks

BTW car is an Aero wagon, model year is 2000

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
If your battery is over 3 years old, it's probably the battery, but you don't really know without checking voltage - should show about 14volts running just above idle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,
I had a similar problem - sudden and unexpected failure of the battery, which was about a month short of 4 years old.

Drove to work in morning, no problem, went out at 5 pm, unlocked car using key-fob, tried to start, one slight grunt from starter, and instrument panel flickered a few times. Tried to jump start, but battery was unable to hold any charge, each time we tried starting via jump leads the intsrument panel flickered a few times and that was it.

If you have a volt meter, check the battery, a fully charged idle one should be about 12.8 volts, and about 14.4 when on charge. Anything less than about 12.3 when idle is suspect, if unsure leave the meter in a position where you can see it, and try starting, or switching some equipment on, such as lights, radio, fan, etc, and if the volts drops dramatically, the battery is u/s.

Might be best just to get a new battery and take it to the petrol station and fit it, at least you can get the car home that way.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Same happened with my battery. It just packed up one day and wouldn't even turn the engine over. I tried charging it but it wouldn't hold hold charge, so I put a new one in and all has been well since then.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Well its definitely the battery.

Loads of tales where they fail without any warning. Many in petrol stations.

Mine at my mates house one dark night. Car same age and model .Failed in 2005 but it was the original one.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Car won't start

I think I may have the same problem as others have identified but any additional thoughts would be appreciated.

Like one of the other forum members wrote, drove to work this morning, car started and drove fine 30+ km's to work. Went to leave work tonight and car was completely dead, no interior lights no auto door opener etc.

Tried boosting car and it started but only ran for short time. Lights appeared on dash with multiple fault coded showing as I pressed accelerator pedal while in neutral, speedometer was spinning wildly. Does this sound like a dead battery which could be 3 or 4 years old(I'm not sure of age as I bought car used one year ago) or an alternator problem. I had no previous signs of no starts or lights flickering or any whining from engine compartment.

Any info or advice would be appreciated. Currently waiting for tow truck to take me to my mechanics shop for check in morning.

Thanks, Marty

1 - 6 of 6 Posts