SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of changing alarm siren batteries. The first step is to remove the wheel. No problem, right? Wrong. I cannot get the bloomin lugs off. I bent the factory lug wrench, bought a new one and just busted that. Is there some sort of safety thing that requires the car to be elevated before the lugs loosen? Anyone had this problem. Oh, working on a '99 9-5

·
Registered
867 Posts
Yeah I've had some issues as well. I use a 24" breaker bar and 17mm socket. Bought mine from Harbor freight for about $10, not including the socket.

·
Premium Member
4,519 Posts
You need to have better "purchase" which means you need a strong socket (the black impact wrench type) and at least a 1/2 inch drive breaker bar or wratchet.

Even better an pneumatic or electric 1/2 inch impact wrench will snap them free.

You will just keep breaking or bending 3/8 inch tools.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Harbor freight breaker bars are great. Harbor freight "Pittsburg" Impact sockets are horrible. I broke mine the same day i bought them. Best bang for your buck sockets are the Sunex. I have broken the saab lug bolts before, and they can be incredibly annoying. Look for Febi(OEM) brand BMW/Mini Cooper lugs. They are identical to the saab lug bolts but have a heavy duty black coating on them that prevents them from rusting and sticking.

Even better, you could do a Lug Nut Conversion. Both work and I have used them myself.

·
Registered
398 Posts
It is very very common that wheel bolts are over-tightened by service shops. I have experienced them being so tight that my impact wrench will not budge them. I removed using the impact socket, 24" breaker bar, and a 3' length of 3/4" steel pipe over the bar. A helper to stand on the brake pedal while you pull on the pipe is also a good idea. Bolts this tight will distort the wheel and brake disc.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Certain name brand impacts will remove almost anything. There's pretty huge variation in these impacts in terms of torque. With a good lubricator unit installed my speedaire impact is good but not great. A snapon, even without a lubricator will remove almost anything. I speak from experience working on 20 and 35 year old cars. There are certain situations where brute force will strip and destroy a bolt and an impact will remove it instantly. They can even be useful for star or allen keys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts