SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Time For Service message popped up the other day and I called the dealer to schedule an oil change appointment for my 07 9-3 with 6,095 miles on it (which by the way they said doesn't need an oil change despite the message that it's time for service, but they'll "look at it"). I also brought up the subject of the steering being loose on my car. They said it's natural for the cars steering to "loosen up" as the car ages.

Why am I being told this for a car that I just bought 8 months ago? I'm driving on the highway and I can turn the wheel 3" each way (it's loose) before the wheel does anything. Going over bumps and the wheel jerks around like crazy. Is this really just part of the car being broken in?

·
Registered
402 Posts
You better get your car in to the dealer and insist on a test drive by a tech. No car should be on the road with that much play in the steering wheel. My car has no play whatsoever and will almost track straight without a hand on the wheel...provided there is no cross-wind.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Hugh said:
You better get your car in to the dealer and insist on a test drive by a tech. No car should be on the road with that much play in the steering wheel. My car has no play whatsoever and will almost track straight without a hand on the wheel...provided there is no cross-wind.
I agree with Hugh on this one. First off, your car is an '07. That means it can't possibly be more than 1.5 years old. To develop that much play over 1.5 years isn't normal.

It sounds to me like your dealership is giving you a snow-job.

Raise hell when you give them your car.

·
Registered
562 Posts
tozion said:
I'm driving on the highway and I can turn the wheel 3" each way (it's loose) before the wheel does anything. Going over bumps and the wheel jerks around like crazy.
Too much play in steering can be attibuted to a number of causes, such as loose front wheel bearings and/or steering gear mounting bracket nuts/bolts. Also, the joint from the column to the steering gear may be loose or even worn. The tie rod ends as well.
As others have already suggested, take it in and insist that the car is thoroughly checked.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Here's what I don't understand;
Dealers claim (and data support this) that revenue and earnings for thier dealerships are earned primarily in their service departments.

If that is the case, then why does it seem that everytime someone takes a car in with a complaint, the first thing the dealer does is try to turn you away?

This has almost always been my experience, and is evidenced (at least anectotally) on many posts on this board.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Your point on revenue on the service is correct, that's where they make most of their $$. But also realize a dealership is measured on warranty repair work. Yes they make money when they repair your car under warranty but sometimes they are dinged on how many warranty repairs they do. So maybe they are walking the line between doing warranty repair work for $$ and worrying about making to many warranty claims.

new92xowner said:
Dealers claim (and data support this) that revenue and earnings for thier dealerships are earned primarily in their service departments.

If that is the case, then why does it seem that everytime someone takes a car in with a complaint, the first thing the dealer does is try to turn you away?

This has almost always been my experience, and is evidenced (at least anectotally) on many posts on this board.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
new92xowner said:

So true. They make you feel like a crook and a crazy person all at once and then claim "cannot duplicate/car running as specified."

I take the car in on Wednesday. Will update then.

·
Registered
267 Posts
thebracko said:
As a tech, I gotta say that at least half the time the customer is smoking crack, or doesn't know how a car works.
Please refrain from impugning crack smokers. We're not all bad.

Now, if we are to take tozion at his word, then he indeed does have about 6" of play in the wheel from left to right. And while the service tech acknowledges the issue brought forth, he then discounts it at the same time. (kind of like your Vascular Surgeon telling you to "walk it off" when you consult him about your severed carotid)

More evidence of dealership service departments suckling on the customers teet for warranty repairs, while at the same time using the other as a punching bag. Doesn't make sense to me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts