SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after changing practically the whole suspension of my AERO to fix all the rattle... I'm still not noise free yet. I think this is my last issue...
I changed the shocks, strut bearings, lower control arms, swaybar link and bushings... Now I think my steering column U joint is loose too....
Anyone had this issue? And I think there are two versions... a black one and a silver one... I can't even see which one I have...it's too dark and covered in dirt...
I made a small video... I feel the knock through out both tie rods when I grab them, more pronounced on the drivers side... But I think it's the U joint since the sound is so vibrant, which wouldn't be if it was inside the boot of the inner tie rod.
Should I get one on ebay? what's the probability that I get one with the same issue....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi

Shortly after buying my 2006 9-3 (1.9tid) I noticed a vagueness in the steering at centre along with a loose feeling in the steering when driving on uneven roads and it turned out to be play in the U joint. When I looked in the engine bay and held the stering column where it meets the rack I could feel the play as I rotated the column. Replacing the part was quite easy, I wrapped the seatbelt around the steering wheel to hold it in place and undid the bolt where it meets the rack then after removing the underdash tray undid the bolt where it meed the bottom of the steering rack and pulled the old one out including the rubber boot. Put the new one in, tightened it up and noticed the difference in steering within seconds of driving.

I fitted a secondhand one that I got from neobrothers (UK).

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I'm still not 100% certain its coming from the joints... From inside it seems the noise is coming from under... From under it seems its coming from up there. Not sure if its something else that is resonating. I guess i will give it a try...

So you don't need to remove the whole column? Just the under dash cover?
Do you pull it out from inside? I think on the RHD it'd easier to undo the bolt under the hood... Its so cramped on the LHD.

Sent from my GN

·
Registered
32 Posts
You're correct in that you dont need to drop the complete steering column off. Once you remove the underdash tray you can see where the u-joint connects to the end of the steering column then goes through the firewall\bulkhead. I think I undid both ends then removed it from inside the car.

Do you have play with the steering wheel centred? I didnt think of the LHD\RHD thing!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are right. I was thinking about the play in the steering wheel... which I don't think I have. I tried turning the steering and checking if the wheels would react at the same time. I feel that there's no play... just the knocking noise... strange..
I bought a used column so I will replace it and see.... I may just replace the tie rod ends inner and outer just to make sure.... ever since I got the car... I still haven't had a day without rattle in the front end.... the older gen had no rattle....

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sad news. I just spent 2 hrs replacing the lower part of the steering column (the u joints). And it's still making the same noise. My old one did have any play that I could feel when I took it out.
Sigh...
What else could be making that noise... The steering rack itself?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Im experiencing the same exact issue as the original poster, im getting a similar noise on my 2003 93 and with the wheel centered I can feel a few mm of play or jiggle back and forth. I have gone underneath the dashboard and tightened the pinch bolt on the u joint inside the car. I tried to do the same with the u joint pinch bolt under the hood, but its pretty difficult to maneuver a wrench and get to the bolt. When I am driving the wheel basically moves all over on rough roads ... very sketchy. Im going to try to get the wheel off and get at the bolt under the hood and will post back on whether or not it clears up the noise and play, in-case anyone else experiences this issue.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Gonna bump an old thread here.
Anyone ever find a resolution for this? Having the same issue on my 06 9-3. Play in the wheel at top with wheels straight and a clicking noise as you move the wheel slightly left and right.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Gonna bump an old thread here.
Anyone ever find a resolution for this? Having the same issue on my 06 9-3. Play in the wheel at top with wheels straight and a clicking noise as you move the wheel slightly left and right.
I had it on my '03 for quite a while and just ignored it.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No resolution... Sold the car.. Lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts