SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was talking to a mechanic about the shake in my car and when he noticed my saab sport exahaust he grabbed ahold of the tail pipe and shook it..it was very loose and swayed rather freely, he believes that when i am driving the exhaust sways around causing noise and the car to shake..we looked at the rubbers on the exhaust hanger and they look like they are to big of slots for the rods that hold the exhaust in the hanger..anyone had this problem or any thoughts on how to fix it?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have the saab sport exhaust and have the very same problem. I can hear it rattle against the frame while turning. I had it installed by a well respected porsche and audi mechanic who i trust does good work. I look forward to some help on this subject as well!

·
Registered
127 Posts
music_city_saab said:
I have the saab sport exhaust and have the very same problem. I can hear it rattle against the frame while turning. I had it installed by a well respected porsche and audi mechanic who i trust does good work. I look forward to some help on this subject as well!
Take a look at the exhausts "heat plates" in the exhaust tunnel. My exhaust was to tight at the rear axle. Resulted in a rattling sound when accelerating and turning. But.. it wont make the car shake :confused:

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
music_city_saab said:
Even a well trained pro can make a small mistake here and there.

The biggest issue with the installation of the saab sport is that the front part and the middle part need to be attached, as opposed to being one piece like the stock system. It takes a bit of fooling around with once it's on the car to get it sitting in a position that wont rub on anything (the section that goes up over the axel) . That's most likely what is going on with the rattling, for both of you.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
music_city_saab said:
I'm not vissualizing what u mean by attatched and not one piece. Please go on!
On the Saab sport, there are 3 differnet pieces:
  1. the muffler portion
  2. a mid section
  3. and a front section that clamps up to the stock center pipe.
the mid section and the front section are separate, unlike the stock set up in which that whole length is one piece. these 2 pieces need to be fitted together, one is slightly flanged at the end to allow the other to fit insde of it. A sealing agent is applied in the connection point, and a C- clamp is put around them to keep them tightly fit.

If you aren't very particular with the postioning you use to fit these two together, they can rattle bump and bang against all kinds of things.

Does that make a little more sense or have I made it even more confusing?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts