SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All-

New to the board - i am looking to buy a Viggen and would appreciate advise from the board. I am thinking of a 2000 - 2002 5 Door - what should i be careful of? (i.e. what are the problem areas - clutch? gearbox? etc), any issues with the 5 door specifically or any particular model year? is it OK to buy a Viggen with 100k+ miles (I assume so as long as the oil has been changed etc), how do i go about getting a pre purchase inspection done of the car (i.e. go to the local garage?), where is the best place to find one? and how much should i look to pay for a nice Viggen?

So many question i know - but would really appreciate the assistance!

Thanks
Ben

·
Registered
209 Posts
Welcome, I’m fairly new to the forum as well and also purchased my first Saab about 3wks ago; a 2000 9-3 SE. From what I gather over the short time I’ve been surfing these boards these cars are very reliable if properly maintained (just like any other car I guess). Not sure about any specific issues with a Viggen model, but I know head bolts seem to be an issue with these cars as well as timing chains. I am actually doing both on my car now as I bought it with a blown head gasket. Try and see if you can get documentation that the timing chain was done and when. This is a PIA, Saab claims the engine has to be removed to perform this procedure, but thanks to this forum I am able to get this done with the engine in the car. You just have to unbolt the motor mounts and push the engine over towards the driver’s side to make room.
As far as a pre-purchase inspection I would think you could just call up 2-3 Saab shops and talk with them and see if they can setup a time for you to bring the car in, ideally during the test drive. You can also go the dealer, you will probably pay more obviously ($78-$150), but if you don’t already have a shop in mind a dealer is who I would use.
You’d be surprised where you find good cars. For the amount you should pay I would pull a private party value from www.KBB.com www.edmunds.com, and www.nadaguides.com and take the average of the three, that should be fair and a good estimate for what the price range should be about.

Good Luck and welcome.

Thanks,
Dom

·
Registered
74 Posts
There's only so many Viggens!

First..... who could blame you for wanting a viggen.
I spent a couple of years in Europe (85-86) and found the "funny" looking Saabs to suit my taste. I more or less forgot about all this until stumbling across a 1999 5door at a local public auction. I bought the 99(not viggen) for $2000 and loved it. I then found this site and my wife would say I went down hill from there. I started to want a Viggen. I sold the 99 for about 3000 and bought my 01 viggen vert for just under $8000.
My advice: It's next to impossible to find full oil change records but if you can it's worth a couple thousand (or more) for piece of mind. In place of records if the oil pan has been dropped and the screen checked/cleaned that would be great. If the Viggen has the original wheels they will be bent! Check cruise control, remote button operation, the SID will probably need fixed (BBA reman about $70). The badges may be worn and that's not a biggie. You can get them for just about 10 bucks. Ultimately you will absolutely get what you pay for.
Unlike my dependanble 1996 chevy with 190,000 the viggens are known for engines being ruined without warning because of the oil pan screens becoming clogged. This is the number one issue. I dropped my oil pan and it was about 30-40 percent clogged. Heres' a pic of my viggen and the oil pickup screen. Good luck.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts