SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody. I have always been a big fan of the old C900 look and was driving around the other day when I found a Turbo SPG for sale. I was unable to drive it as the owner wasnt there (the car was in a auto lot), but according to the guy the car drives very well. Apparently he had the harmonic balancer repaired and he couldnt afford it, so the shop is selling it. Here are some quick notes I took though...

237709 miles on the odometer
In bad need of a car wash
Paint is very rough in some spots
Front seats are pretty cracked and worn, bottom of back seat missing
No radio, dash very cracked
No rust in wheelwells (might be some surface rust), floor seemed to be in good condition as well
Tires are relatively new
Engine looks pretty good

Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

They want $500, but I havent talked with the owner and havent gotten a drive yet. Just on what I know right now, do you guys think I should pursue this car? What might be a fair counter-offer if I decide to pursue further.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Welcome to Saab central. She looks pretty rough, does it have a back seat? I personally love a good chalenge, and that looks like one. Spg cars are dissapearing fast. Find out how much the previous owner owed and think about offering that.Very important, Look for rust where the drive-shafts pass through the body, the right side is usually the first to rot.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I think this would be a challenge alright, personally I like to see some evidence of TLC having been extended to a vehicle, not seeing any evidence of that here.

It would seem you would be starting from scratch and would need to strip right down and then rebuild, I guess it depends on your skills, wallet size, determination, time etc etc

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont think that the owner actually has the backseat, so that would be something else that would need to be taken care of, along with the fronts

As far as a total teardown, I can do it. Having space to do it would be my only problem. If nothing else, I would like to get my manual skills up (not very good yet) and see where I stand after that. I would really like to get this thing back running well and looking good though.

We will see what happens when I go back tomorrow. Thanks for the replys!

·
Registered
278 Posts
If there isn't structural rust and you want a project go for it. Be aware that you will spend thousands of dollars over time bringing her back to spec. Also if this will be your first c900 be prepared for the possibility of becoming a c900 fanboy and being absolutely obsessed with them.:D

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
if you dont want it ill pick it up lol :lol:

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
wow, that is one rough looking car!

I mean, it would be cheaper in the long run to just buy an SPG that is worthwhile.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Boosted said:
If there isn't structural rust and you want a project go for it. Be aware that you will spend thousands of dollars over time bringing her back to spec. Also if this will be your first c900 be prepared for the possibility of becoming a c900 fanboy and being absolutely obsessed with them.:D
He he I know about that with 6 c900's at the moment (two are just for parts, but four do run!).

My 81 turbo was a lucky find in that it was structurally almost perfect and the previous owner had spent a LOT getting mechanicals rebuilt.

I agree that if the car the original poster is looking at is in excellent structural condition and the engine/trans and interior are good too, it'd make a really good starting point either for improving to a higher standard or just to keep maintained as-is.

Craig.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hmmmm, looks about like my '87 SPG. Mine wouldn't go into 1st or 2nd when I got it... headliner was falling down... driver's seat bottom corroded... and more. But, no rust and it ran. Cost me $375.

It's been my daily driver for about 6 months now. I'm having fun. It's doing well and getting better all the time.

Go for it if it's not rusty! ... And you don't mind driving a work in progress.

-TH

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
If it runs and shifts decently, you can't go wrong for the price! Make sure the transmission shifts okay. Take it up to highway speeds in 5th and listen (not too closely) for whining/pulsing.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
woywitka said:

I mean, it would be cheaper in the long run to just buy an SPG that is worthwhile.
.. man ... ya'all must buy your used cars on a new car lot or something. Take that SPG and rub out the paint - nice high gloss. Steam clean the engine bay, do something about the seats (rear seats in good condition aren't exactly rare in junkyards ... in fact I'd suspect the rear seat is probably the least likley part of a car for someone to WANT out of a junkyard car!) - and drive the danged thing. Yeah - it'd be nice if it'd been given TLC, loved, doted over, washed daily and waxed until the paint wore off, but what's the big deal - it's been sitting outside a shop - probably accumulating dust for a few months - if the drive shaft tunnels aren't shot (or even if they are, if you can fabricate and weld), if it runs and if the gearbox works - what the heck - $500 asking for a fairly rare vehicle - offer the dude $350 and drive away happy.
Don't let the "oooh ... it's dirty" nay-sayers get ya down - there's a gem hiding under that layer of dirt!

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Dude...that car looks fine...

Paint looks good except for a patch on the hood, but I'm not sure if that's just dust in the picture. Swapping interiors is easy, sheepskins are even easier, and all the old 900s have cracked dashes anyway...

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
TheRedBaron said:
Dude...that car looks fine...

Paint looks good except for a patch on the hood, but I'm not sure if that's just dust in the picture. Swapping interiors is easy, sheepskins are even easier, and all the old 900s have cracked dashes anyway...

it all depends what you want to put up with!

These items can be very costly if you want to fix them, I learned this the hard way before. I spent a higher sum of money and took my time when I found my convertible. No dash cracks, awsome seats, and carpets with little to no fade. Try finding an uncracked dash out of the wrecker these days, or good carpets! Good seat leather on e-bay can go for over $600 for a set!

There are some little tricks. Like buy front seat leather of a 9000 and swap the skins. For this car: get a seat bottom from an old 900S and pull the cloth off and spent the better part of your life finding a good bottom matching leather seat cover (can't be used of a 9000).

As for the dash...well a dash cap (ebay) and a glovebox door off a european car will likely have less bubbles/peeling (cooler more moist climate).

SOme SEM carpet dye. New headliner.

It can be done; however, it is all how much time you want to spend on the car.

My last 900turbo turned out to be a very epensive job replacing interior bits and trim pieces that are not easy to find in good nick.

Cars with good service history are also more reliable and likely cheaper in the long run. My Convertible has been 1000X better than my last car because I decided to spent the money and get a well taken care of car. Look at my post history and compare the two cars!

My convertible has been much cheaper, I just bought it with good cosmetics and fairly decent mechanicals and slowly fixed up the more easy mechanicals.

Just my 1.98 cents (CND)

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Yeah, but you can find parts cars with blown transes/engines for really cheap and just swap everything. Or you could go to the junkyard, all that stuff is really not that expensive, it's $30 a pop for whole front seats (mechanical ones anyway) in the local pick and pull, which frequently has 900/9000's. His carpet looks fine, and so would generic carpet...

woywitka said:
Cars with good service history are also more reliable and likely cheaper in the long run. My Convertible has been 1000X better than my last car because I decided to spent the money and get a well taken care of car. Look at my post history and compare the two cars!

My convertible has been much cheaper, I just bought it with good cosmetics and fairly decent mechanicals and slowly fixed up the more easy mechanicals.
My car came from an indy mechanics yard, it was trapped behind a car that was sitting there on a jack with no rear axle, dirty as heck, leaves in the interior, no radio in the slot, no service history, odometer had been broken for years. A year and 5 days later, it has not broken down once, and has had no mechanical problems. The battery lost a cell once, so I had to get a new one (the car still started, though), but that's just a wear and tear item. Beyond oil and gas, I've only spent about $100-150 on regular maintenance items - vacuum line, air filter, dis cap/rotor, wires, and other things of that nature. So basically, yeah, no problems here. If the car runs fine, trans feels ok, and there's no severe rust, chances are you'll do ok. Unless you're just unlucky!

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
TheRedBaron said:
Yeah, but you can find parts cars with blown transes/engines for really cheap and just swap everything. Or you could go to the junkyard, all that stuff is really not that expensive, it's $30 a pop for whole front seats (mechanical ones anyway) in the local pick and pull, which frequently has 900/9000's. His carpet looks fine, and so would generic carpet...

My car came from an indy mechanics yard, it was trapped behind a car that was sitting there on a jack with no rear axle, dirty as heck, leaves in the interior, no radio in the slot, no service history, odometer had been broken for years. A year and 5 days later, it has not broken down once, and has had no mechanical problems. The battery lost a cell once, so I had to get a new one (the car still started, though), but that's just a wear and tear item. Beyond oil and gas, I've only spent about $100-150 on regular maintenance items - vacuum line, air filter, dis cap/rotor, wires, and other things of that nature. So basically, yeah, no problems here. If the car runs fine, trans feels ok, and there's no severe rust, chances are you'll do ok. Unless you're just unlucky!
You are very lucky! SOmetimes these cars can be a REAL PITA!

I guess prices on parts vary from region to region. Manual seats from the local you pick here would be $150+ each with good seat leather:(

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
woywitka said:

That depends, $500 seems good to me for this car.

If you are paying someone to make it nice, buy one that's nice.

If you fix it yourself, go for it!

·
Registered
118 Posts
buy it or I will

Buy it provided the engine runs and the trans shifts. Seats are not hard to replace interior work is easy but sometimes time consuming (I just did my headliner on my 3dr uggh) If you don't buy it let me know where it is and I will I'd love an spg!

Bryan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow, lots of replies so quick! I called ahead today and the guy is busy again, so I will have to wait to drive it. I may have stumbled upon an interior however. On my way to pay a bill, I spotted a seemingly abandoned 900 S parked in someones yard. The entire interior looked miles better than the one in the SPG. No one was home, so I couldnt get anymore information on it, but I do plan on stopping by again. Seems like I have good luck so far! Thanks for all the helpful replies, and keep em coming!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts