SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, quick question here. I need to draw on your Saab knowledge. I want to know what is the best or should I say most favored MY for the Viggen?

It's on my list of possible buys and I'm assuming 02 has all the bugs worked out. But which year is most reliable, tunable, and offers cool options?

Also, what year was the 4 door available? TIA!

·
Registered
239 Posts
They are very similar from 99-02 in terms of reliability, features, and tuning options. I would find the best one you can, regardless of year.

4 doors, verts, and a slightly better turbo intake began in 2000, TCS in 01, and rumor is they got slightly stronger pistons somewhere in 00 or 01. Not strong, mind you, but stronger. I don't think it's a much of a difference. 02 has a different looking speedometer. I can't think of much else that changed. OnStar may have been added somewhere along the line, but that's a relic of a system in any event.

In terms of most favored, I'd have to say the LB 99 is kind of the original and most classic looking Viggen. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey great answer, thank you. You said not strong but stronger. Do these pistons crap out at a certain point?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh and I forgot to ask. Do viggens have the same goofy solid rear axle that the standard 9-3's have?

And do they come with a LSD or is that just an aftermarket upgrade I remember seeing somewhere.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
The Viggen pistons will not support highly modded HP numbers as they were made to be lighter weight and more efficient than the earlier 2.0t engines, which are more stout. I believe something around 300hp is the max most go before upgrading them, but not having a Viggen myself I'm sure someone can be more specific.

·
Registered
18,906 Posts
Yeah... 300HP is the apparent limit based on "field testing".

The Viggen has the same rear axle. The suspension differences are the springs stiffer by 10% ft / 25% rr), strut cartridge/shocks, and bar diameters (smaller front, non-upgraded rear). With some work, you can greatly improve the suspension in these cars. I'm now an Eibach/Koni evangelist myself. You'll want a rack brace or poly bushing, and maybe an upgraded rear bar (if you start changing springs and struts). If the car has over 80K or so it probably needs front struts anyway so that's a good excuse to start modding.

LSD is aftermarket... I think it will set you back $1K.

Like redrum said, 300HP on the stock pistons. If you plan to go wild, you might prefer a '99 with the T5 motor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts