SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really don't know much about Saab but I dig the look of them. Coming across an 06 9-3 aero wagon that I am looking to purchase. I am from canada so the milage is about 170xxx km, approximately 106xxx miles with Auto Transmission. Since I don't know much about Saab, is there any known problems that I should look out for or address before I purchase the vehicle? and typically any service that required to be done at that milage? Any inputs will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
521 Posts
Nothing really to note at that mileage other than standard items, from what I know of the V6, the coolant expansion tank may crack from the heat after a while so that might need to be replaced. Plugs generally at 100k, V6 tend to go through coil packs quicker than the I4 (again due to the heat). Auto trans are pretty good in these cars. Check suspension parts as the car is about 10 years old now and 100k. These cars are pretty notorious for creaks, squeaks, and clunky suspension parts once worn (sometimes it is very hard to find where the knocking comes from). Batteries in Saabs need to be in good standing or you can have some funky electrical problems and yet again the V6 will go through them quicker than the I4. Not so fast where it is a pain, but more quickly than normal. Not trying to scare you off, just making sure you are prepared! Lots of people like the power of the 2006 Aero. Can't comment on the ride of a wagon as I haven't been in or owned one, but the sedans are very nice to ride in.

Since Saab is out of business make sure you are prepared to do your own work or have a good indy shop to do any future work for you. Repairs can be somewhat pricey but nothing too crazy for a near luxury brand. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I'm not too familiar with the wagons ("sport combis") or any of the six-cylinder incarnations of Saabs.

I can give you some general advice, though. Saab... they're not in business anymore. Lol And obviously you know that, so just go ahead and find a real good shop that specializes in Saabs, Swedish cars, or European cars. Do this before you buy the car so that you know where to send it should anything ever go awry...

At 100,000 miles... general maintenance like spark plugs, filters of all kinds (cabin air filter, air filter, oil filter [with oil change]...) are a definite, but there may be extraneous or rather unexpected things that pop up at 100k miles. So I might consider setting aside a little bit of money or however much money you get taken off of the seller's asking price just in case as a small warranty of sorts...

It's already been mentioned, and again, while I can't speak for the SportCombi, I can tell you that Saab's interior construction is rather notorious for squeaking and creaking and rattling. If you're the kind of person who is easily annoyed by those sorts of things, then it may not be the car for you. (I am that kind of a person, actually, but I still went ahead and bought the car. I don't regret it, but I find myself irked by the shoddiness of the interior's cheap plastic trim pieces and peeling radio buttons and such from time to time. Like, "Really, Saab? You couldn't have gone with some heavier plastic, or etched/printed the numbers onto the radio buttons themselves??")

Other than that, you'll save a ton of money by doing your own work whenever and wherever possible. It sounds silly, but just something as minor as having the spark plugs changed would be a $150 job if I were to take it into the garage. (The plugs were $9. I did it myself.) Valve cover gasket? Never got a quote but I overheard another guy get a quote for it... $500. (The gasket set was $21. I'll be doing it myself...)

tl;dr 1.) Do the work yourself whenever and wherever you can to save money. 2.) Find a good garage that does good work and take your car there for the things you cannot do yourself. 3.) Set aside some money just in case. 4.) Don't buy the car if a peeling radio button or a rattling door panel will freak you out. Lol

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
My 2004 has been trouble free minus a recall. Im looking for new cars but nothing drives like a saab you won't regret it at all.
Yeah nothing offers that combination of a flexing chassis, massive body roll, stiff suspension, monumental understeer and teeth chattering ride.

It cruises quietly, i'll give it that.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone for your inputs. As much as I love the wagon, I think I'm gonna go with the aero sedan instead and save the couple thousands for any problems that i might encounter. I mean used car are still used car right? Anything could go at any time. So the smart thing to do is to buy something cheaper and leave the cash aside for future maintenance.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Thank you everyone for your inputs. As much as I love the wagon, I think I'm gonna go with the aero sedan instead and save the couple thousands for any problems that i might encounter. I mean used car are still used car right? Anything could go at any time. So the smart thing to do is to buy something cheaper and leave the cash aside for future maintenance.
Honestly? Yeah lol I think that's the smart thing to do... go with the sedan and put the money aside for potential repairs.

I think that you'll sleep much better at night. Just my 2 cents...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.