SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my wife and I are looking at buying a 2004 9-3 ARC convertible, and I am wondering if there are any known common issues/problems with these cars? It has approx. 55K miles and looks to be in excellent condition. Dealer just replaced brakes, rotors and I think they said springs or shocks or something like that, put $1100 into the vehicle after going thru their 120 point inspection. My concern with buying this car is that there are no Saab dealers around, especially since GM just sold them, so would there be an issue with servicing the vehicle should something go wrong, and are there any known issues with these cars? I know people who have owned Saabs in the past and present and love them, but with Saab no longer being around, at least in Indianapolis, could this be an issue in the future. Thanks for all replies!

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
It sounds like the dealer just did the spring replacement that Saab just announced.

BTW, are you aware that Saab was pruchased and GM is providing warranty support?

The main problem is with verts, especially at this time of year. After sitting for 6 months, many don't seem to work. And at $600 per hydraulic cylinder, they are very expensive to repair. Check for hydraulic leaks in the top system before you buy... Ron

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the quick response. No I was not aware that Saab was just purchased. Who bought them, and would it be an issue for any of the GM dealerships to work on it/get parts? Any other issues besides the cylinders for the lid?

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
Stryker bought them, and with 5 (maybe 6) $600 hydraulic cylinders, hydraulic hoses and a hydraulic pump, the parts plus labor can cost much more than the car. Sludge was a problem, especially in leased vehicles. But in general, the more service records you get with the car, the fewer problems you will have down the road... Ron

1 - 5 of 5 Posts