SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ha, just wrote up a really nice post about this then accidentally closed the window before posting it. oops :lol: Anyway, my grandpa worked for Ford for 40 something years, my dad has been working for over 30 years, both were/are assembly line workers, so my family has been loyal to Ford for my entire life. But a few months ago I got a chance to drive my friends 1999 Audi A8 and I have been crazy about european luxury ever since (My name is Luke so my family jokes about me going to the "dark side" all the time ha... and for some bonus irony, my best friend drives a Volvo).

I'm thinking it's time to replace my v6 3.0L hand-me-down Ford ranger. I really like Saab's "quirky" looks, and I've heard they are a lot of fun to drive and very reliable if maintained well, so I think I've decided that I want a 9-3, around the 1999-2002 years. But before I dive into this, I did some research (this is a great website and has already helped a ton) and have a couple questions.

1) Sludge... I read a lot about the sludge problems, but was that mostly effecting just the 9-5 models? or is it the 2.3L engine specifically? If I stick to a 9-3 with a 2.0L and make sure to do my oil changes every 5k miles will I have much to worry about?
2) Turbos! I haven't even ever driven a car with a turbocharger. Anything I should know before I do?
3) How different are they from American cars? Me and my dad (and by that I mean my dad. I just do brakes and oil pretty much) are competent DIY'ers and almost never have to take our cars to the shop. But is all his knowledge worthless since he knows american cars and has probably never been under the hood of a car manufactured outside north america...?

A couple cars in my area caught my eye and any quick advice would be greatly appreciated.

The first is a 1999 9-3. Only $1500, but needs a new 2nd and 4th gear. Being that cheap is nice because I'm 18 and have college to pay for next year, but like I said, I don't want to get in over my head with repair costs.

The second is a 2008 9-3, auto trans, for $4000.... Obviously sounds way too good to be true. If I were to give this guy a call, what should I be looking for (besides service records...).

I'm eager to get my first Saab and baby it till the odometer rolls over, and any advice/tips/knowledge you can pass along will surely help me out. Thanks for all the help.
-Luke

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Welcome to SC!!!:cheesy: You will love your SAAB and dream about it almost every night and smile when you get in it, and always look back at it several times when parting with it, even if just for a few minutes:D

Ha, just wrote up a really nice post about this then accidentally closed the window before posting it. oops :lol: Anyway, my grandpa worked for Ford for 40 something years, my dad has been working for over 30 years, both were/are assembly line workers, so my family has been loyal to Ford for my entire life. But a few months ago I got a chance to drive my friends 1999 Audi A8 and I have been crazy about european luxury ever since (My name is Luke so my family jokes about me going to the "dark side" all the time ha... and for some bonus irony, my best friend drives a Volvo).

Suweeet, get a Vtuned Aero FTW:cheesy:

I'm thinking it's time to replace my v6 3.0L hand-me-down Ford ranger. I really like Saab's "quirky" looks, and I've heard they are a lot of fun to drive and very reliable if maintained well, so I think I've decided that I want a 9-3, around the 1999-2002 years. But before I dive into this, I did some research (this is a great website and has already helped a ton) and have a couple questions.

1) Sludge... I read a lot about the sludge problems, but was that mostly effecting just the 9-5 models? or is it the 2.3L engine specifically? If I stick to a 9-3 with a 2.0L and make sure to do my oil changes every 5k miles will I have much to worry about?

Not much issue after 2002 I believe. Especially for those using synthetic oil and changing oil and filter fairly often, not more than 7500mi. intervals I would strongle recommend.

2) Turbos! I haven't even ever driven a car with a turbocharger. Anything
I should know before I do?

That they are awesome and more fun than any other motor configuration ever!! I've had around 8 turbo cars from Porsches, to a DSM AWD Turbo, Cobb Stage III WRX, even a Turbo T/A . I love turbos soooooo muchhhhh. And since the newer SAABs have a watercooled TURBO, you really don't need to worry about a turbo timer, or cool down, although I still give Thor a bit of time to idle after a spirited drive. And of course for a Turbo motor(and the turbocharger itself-they spin at around 60,000RPM you know) a top notch stynthetic oil and filter, changed not longer than at 10K intervals:eek:(WHICH I THINK IS TOO LONG FOR ME TO BE COMFY:cool:WITH, I CHANGE MINE EVERY 5K!!!)is mandatory IMHO to give your car the best performance and service life, but other than that, and making sure you let you motor warm up properly/driven gently until warm, and of course not revved up when cold-like you see some idiots on Youtube doing, that's about it, a well cared for Turbo can often last nearly as long as a well cared for motor.

3) How different are they from American cars? Me and my dad (and by that I mean my dad. I just do brakes and oil pretty much) are competent DIY'ers and almost never have to take our cars to the shop. But is all his knowledge worthless since he knows american cars and has probably never been under the hood of a car manufactured outside north america...?

A couple cars in my area caught my eye and any quick advice would be greatly appreciated.

The first is a 1999 9-3. Only $1500, but needs a new 2nd and 4th gear. Being that cheap is nice because I'm 18 and have college to pay for next year, but like I said, I don't want to get in over my head with repair costs.

The second is a 2008 9-3, auto trans, for $4000.... Obviously sounds way too good to be true. If I were to give this guy a call, what should I be looking for (besides service records...).

:eek: uhhh sounds like a scam

I'm eager to get my first Saab and baby it till the odometer rolls over, and any advice/tips/knowledge you can pass along will surely help me out. Thanks for all the help.
-Luke
Anytime! :cheesy:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Was just out running errands in the ranger, stopped at a stop light just like normal, but when it turned green and I gave it a little gas, it started making a noise like I was dragging the muffler... pulled over, nothing hanging/dragging, drove home (not even half a mile from there). About to go take a look at it now. Maybe I'll be getting my new Saab sooner than I originally thought :D

Rennsport, thanks for the turbo info. Ill make sure to keep up with oil/filter changes. And yeah I'm leaning towards the 2008 9-3 being a scam as well.

To the driveway/garage!
edit: tailpipe rusted through and a bump in the road was enough to break it right after the muffler. it dangled and rubbed the drive shaft. temporarily fixed with some zip ties to hold it out of the way

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
If it needs second and forth, that's a used transmission in my book. Maybe $500 on eBay and 10-15 hours of labor, but it sure beats paying some $100/hour to change it. I changed one on my '97 SET and could do it again quicker now.

The T7 4-liter engines had more problems with sludge than the T5 engines. I have 151-k miles on my car and drive from Columbus to Port Clinton every weekend and average at least 35 mph on Rt 23. Higher when I don't get the lights.

Just make sure that you drive the car for 1/2 hour or so to make sure that you know what problems it has before being told it has no problems... Ron

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Cool. And BTW, I mean the newer SAABs have watercooled TURBOCHARGERS, the turbocharger itself has passages for coolant, which is very uhhh coool, most older turbochargers were not. Of course any modern SAAB after 1970 or so is watercooled, unlike the venerable 911's F6 which just switched to watercooling 12 years ago. I still want an aircooled 993C2S !!!

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Oh and 9-5s after '04 had internal motor design improvements to resist sludge. '03+ 9-3s don't have much issues with sludge as far as I know. That issue was with the B235s.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts