SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any fellow MI Saab owners know of or used an audio installer in Oakland or Macomb County area that is able to suggest best option and install after market NAV unit and retain steering wheel controls? Any help finding a trusted expert would be greatly appreciated. Would really like to move away from the base radio to something with NAV, bluetooth, ipod connection etc.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Any fellow MI Saab owners know of or used an audio installer in Oakland or Macomb County area that is able to suggest best option and install after market NAV unit and retain steering wheel controls? Any help finding a trusted expert would be greatly appreciated. Would really like to move away from the base radio to something with NAV, bluetooth, ipod connection etc.
i'm in macomb but will be moving to rochester in less than a month so i'm familiar with your struggle. i'm going to say with 70% assurance that nobody around here will touch it. micky shore, cartunes, abc warehouse, best buy--they won't touch our cars with a 10 foot pole. i've been looking to do this for a while but the lack of professional installers willing to do it is a little disconcerting because i've never done it before. i'm pretty well versed on the subject matter since i've contemplated doing it for about a year and a half. i might be some help to you in terms of what you'll need, etc. PM me if you're so inclined.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
A good friend of mine is an installer for Best Buy in Macomb county. Do you have the dash kit and wiring harness? The adapters for steering wheel controls absolutely suck. I had one in my Fusion and it never worked 100%, and a lot of times it was very delayed. He has worked on Saabs and absolutely hates them. I believe he said he made a custom dash kit for one of them. Send me a pm and I will tell you where he works. I don't think he will do it on the side, so you will be charged best Buy rates, which aren't too bad.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I don't mean to resurrect an old thread, but did you any of you guys (or anyone else) have any luck? I'm looking into something of that sorts. I also looked into Rossmilitz thread about switching the 6x9 to 6.5 subs. I would at the least, consider something like that.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I'm in Macomb, MI as well and am close to Oakland. I built this in mine. But man I could not figure out the controls. I just hard wired my decks.

I wouldn't mind teaming up with you to maybe solve the steering wheel control. In terms of install, it cant be bad. Just need correct bezel for 2 din. I had a 2 din but the bezel was too small so I had to dremel it to fit.
PM me if you want.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
I'm in Macomb, MI as well and am close to Oakland. I built this in mine. But man I could not figure out the controls. I just hard wired my decks.

I wouldn't mind teaming up with you to maybe solve the steering wheel control. In terms of install, it cant be bad. Just need correct bezel for 2 din. I had a 2 din but the bezel was too small so I had to dremel it to fit.
PM me if you want.
U don't need to solve any SW controls. For the '07+ cars there is a module from Connects that adapts our wheel controls to work with other aftermarket radios.

·
Registered
135 Posts

PM me if you want.
I think I'm gonna really look into it next week. I've done some research from different forums and have found some stuff but I have to see what's up. Some of the stuff looks legit but is in Europe, so we'd have to see if they ship international.

The fascia and adapters from what I've read don't seem to be hard to come by. If I were to do it though I'd want 100% functionality meaning SW control for Bluetooth phone and volume as well as everything else to work fine. I'm concerned about a microphone setup since our cars don't have one. But I'll see what the shop has to say as to what is possible, assuming the parts can all be bought. Personally, I don't have knowledge or tools to do any of this stuff myself lol

·
Registered
580 Posts
OP, whatever you do, don't take it to any shop around here. They are so clueless. I asked the 3 majors if they have a term lab and all of them had no clue what that even is. To not know what a term lab is and be in the audio 'Game' is pathetic. Point is, these shops are pathetic. Just do your research and see what you can find out. I can help you wire anything up. Like I said I wanna tackle this problem as well. Ive ripped this car to shreds for audio just to be able to play 150+ db daily. I think I can figure out the steering wheels controls with a bit of research.

·
Registered
135 Posts
For anyone else out there, what exact connections/cables are in the radio deck? I've read something about ISO/fakra, antenna, power, and steering wheel connections.

My point is what adaptors would you need to connect to a new Pioneer/Kenwood/Alpine stereo? I'm not really concerned about Nav connections, but am for everything else.

My guess would be there could potentially be something for:

-power cord adaptor
-audio out adaptor to Bose amp
-Steering wheel connection adaptor
-incoming antenna adaptor

·
Super Moderator
9,863 Posts
If you're ever in the Chicago area, you're more than welcome to stop by my place. I do a lot of audio work for fellow Saabers.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just to keep everyone updated. I ordered everything so far for my install and it seems like it will be straight forward. I ordered this Kenwood DDX371 http://www.crutchfield.com/p_613DDX371/Kenwood-DDX371.html?cc=01 with the appropriate adapters and such, and it came out to be around $410 shipped. I can update for the parts needed if people are interested. After spending a decent amount of time looking over this stuff, I think I have it all figured out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts