SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
RE: Steering column upper bearing inner bushing

Originally Posted by wal
Would you be able/interested in printing some if I send you a used one?
https://www.thesaabsite.com/search.p...4&vin=&mod_id=
It is a fairly soft material.

I could try, but the material I use is rigid, not soft like the original part. I don't think it will deform or fit the right way.

If you need one, I have a spare one I bought new from Skandix Germany that I can sell to you.
Thanks for offering to sell me one, but don't need any for myself, but someone over on Saabnet forum does. Just thought it would be a good item too make since they commonly get pulverized and are no longer available (NLA). I've read that some people use a segment of garden hose as a substitute for OEM part.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks for offering to sell me one, but don't need any for myself, but someone over on Saabnet forum does. Just thought it would be a good item too make since they commonly get pulverized and are no longer available (NLA). I've read that some people use a segment of garden hose as a substitute for OEM part.

I might be able to print one after all. There is a material called NinjaFlex, a thermoplastic polyurethane, that works in 3D printers. I've been looking for a reason to buy reel. It might work so its worth a try. I'll let you know in a week or so.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I might be able to print one after all. There is a material called NinjaFlex, a thermoplastic polyurethane, that works in 3D printers. I've been looking for a reason to buy reel. It might work so its worth a try. I'll let you know in a week or so.

I was able to print something that resembles the molded part. The TPU material is noticeably softer than the original elastomer. I don't know if it will work or not - might be worth a try. The part on the left is printed, the part on the right is molded.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I happen to need this exact steering bushing. Would you be willing to make one up, I'd be happy to give it a shot!

I still have a couple of the test pieces that I printed. Send me a PM with your address and I will drop a couple in the mail.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks Murry, I put my info on your profile as a visitor post.

I mailed a couple of bushings to you today. Let me know if they work. If they do, great. If they don't, let me know what this issue is. I can always tweak the geometry.

If the printed ones don't work due to material limitations, I plan on making some molded polyurethane parts when I have the time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the followup! They did arrive and are awaiting my installation. I haven't had the car for awhile as it's been at my shop getting a new a/c compressor among various other work. Had trouble finding a decent one and then a rebuilt was completely defective, so it's been a lot of holding pattern.

That said, I have a hunch what you sent will work. Can't say for how long, but the quality seems excellent.

I will definitely followup ASAP. Thanks again for your generosity.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks for the followup! They did arrive and are awaiting my installation. I haven't had the car for awhile as it's been at my shop getting a new a/c compressor among various other work. Had trouble finding a decent one and then a rebuilt was completely defective, so it's been a lot of holding pattern.

That said, I have a hunch what you sent will work. Can't say for how long, but the quality seems excellent.

I will definitely followup ASAP. Thanks again for your generosity.

Thanks for the update ;ol;. I'm going to install one in my car after I get a new lock washer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Need Bushing

Hi Murry101, Any chance I can buy one of these from you? I'm not having any luck finding one in the US. Let me know if you can help me out. Thanks.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Hi Murry101, Any chance I can buy one of these from you? I'm not having any luck finding one in the US. Let me know if you can help me out. Thanks.

PM me your address and I will send you one. No charge, just let me know how it works out, any fit issues, etc.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
New bearing

The steering bearing in my car was worn to the point there was noticeable slop in the steering wheel. I couldn't bring myself to pay 69 euros for a new one from Skandix Germany plus 50 euros for shipping, so I created my own solution. The original bearing measured 24mm ID x 40mm OD x 8mm Thick. I couldn't find a readily available drop in replacement, but I did find a 24mm ID x 37mm OD x 8mm sealed bearing (2RS) for $12 online. To make it fit, I printed new inner bushing and custom outer bushing. I installed the today and it is working well. Check it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
454 Posts
Murry101: Would you be interested in making some sun visor retaining clips for NG900, which are no longer available. Latest pn-4369088 ? I can send you a super glued broken one as a prototype.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Murry101: Would you be interested in making some sun visor retaining clips for NG900, which are no longer available. Latest pn-4369088 ? I can send you a super glued broken one as a prototype.
Sure. Shoot me a pm and I'll give you my address.

·
Registered
73 Posts
No problems with the headlight adjusters you sent me, at least as far as I've noticed. Next time I'm under the hood I'll check them more closely and report back.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts