SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of 3D printed headlight adjusters and I'm looking for a couple of people who are willing to try them out and let me know how they work when installed on a car. They are the threaded inserts for the bottom adjustment and do not include the hardware (knob or threaded stud). Let me know if you are interested.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I have a couple of pictures of the unit mounted in an extra bucket so you can see what it looks like partially installed. I was able to reuse most of the other original parts.
The parts are printed on a Markforged Mark Two printer using Onyx filament (nylon with 20% carbon fiber for strength and rigidity).
I forgot to mention that I will provide these to a couple of people for free. I only ask that you let me know how they work out.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,870 Posts
Great idea and really nice of you to offer these up for testing. I've epoxied more broken adjusters than I'd like to admit, but unfortunately we don't see enough C900's at the shop to justify accepting some. My C900 vert is intact too, hopefully you can find someone to test them out!
Either way, good for you creating solutions for those who will eventually need them.
Tom

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great idea and really nice of you to offer these up for testing. I've epoxied more broken adjusters than I'd like to admit, but unfortunately we don't see enough C900's at the shop to justify accepting some. My C900 vert is intact too, hopefully you can find someone to test them out!
Either way, good for you creating solutions for those who will eventually need them.
Tom

Thanks, I did find one person willing to try them. Still looking into what other NLA parts I can 3D print.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I have been looking for a way to print the dome light lense for older cars - I need one, and whatever I learn from that I could learn to print one for my XR4Ti. I haven't had great success with transparent filament, so my next approach is going to be trying to print a bracket that can use a transparent "window" cut from stock, or an adapter that could use a lens from another car.

I got my 3D printer imagining all the car stuff I could do with it, but so far it hasn't done all that much good. I did print a pair of "compound" hub adapters that center both a too-big brake rotor and too-big wheel that works excellently. That solution save a pile of cash!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How about some Type 8 primary gears? Rare and expensive. :cheesy:

I wish. I do wonder how much it would cost to have some metal parts printed. I have enough experience with precision tooling to know the cost of custom machining.

I have been looking for a way to print the dome light lense for older cars - I need one, and whatever I learn from that I could learn to print one for my XR4Ti. I haven't had great success with transparent filament, so my next approach is going to be trying to print a bracket that can use a transparent "window" cut from stock, or an adapter that could use a lens from another car.

I got my 3D printer imagining all the car stuff I could do with it, but so far it hasn't done all that much good. I did print a pair of "compound" hub adapters that center both a too-big brake rotor and too-big wheel that works excellently. That solution save a pile of cash!

I have a cheap 3D printer for home use that is little more than a toy. PLA is not good for functional parts. The printer that I have access to through work is a different beast entirely-but still limited. I have ambition to print some molds and make polyurethane parts.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for sending, mine arrived today and I'll install and report back this week.

Sean

Great I'm curious to hear any feedback you have.

BTW did you recently sell an ignition switch on Ebay? I was outbid on one recently and looked like durk96 was the seller - can't imagine that's a coincidence.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi Murry. I'm a new guy here, but if you're still looking for feedback on these I'd be happy to try them. I've got to restore the headlights on my 89 900S, as the plastic is disintegrating. I've got new cups for the lamp unit and I was planning to improvise something for the threaded bits, but your new parts would be far better, I'm sure.

Happy to pay for them as well if you've moved on to commercial production. Just let me know and I'll PM you my details. Thanks.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Murry. I'm a new guy here, but if you're still looking for feedback on these I'd be happy to try them. I've got to restore the headlights on my 89 900S, as the plastic is disintegrating. I've got new cups for the lamp unit and I was planning to improvise something for the threaded bits, but your new parts would be far better, I'm sure.

Happy to pay for them as well if you've moved on to commercial production. Just let me know and I'll PM you my details. Thanks.

Shoot me a PM and I'll send you a set, no charge. Just let me know how they work out.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Shoot me a PM and I'll send you a set, no charge. Just let me know how they work out.

Thanks! Unfortunately, as a new member I apparently can't use the PM function until I've accumulated 10 or more posts. Perhaps you can PM me and hopefully I'll be able to reply to you directly. Apologies for the inconvenience.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks! Unfortunately, as a new member I apparently can't use the PM function until I've accumulated 10 or more posts. Perhaps you can PM me and hopefully I'll be able to reply to you directly. Apologies for the inconvenience.

I tried to PM you, no luck. Maybe appeal to the moderator or just post until it works.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Well Done creating NLA parts.
If I recall some 900's with a Manual Heater were always breaking a part associated with Heater knob. Maybe thats another part you could investigate.
Suggestion only.
Again - Keep up the good work.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts