SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have a 92 900 base n/a and I'm looking to pick up another b212 and put a turbo on it and a full megasquirt setup. I'm just looking for ideas, advice and important things to know for the project. My main gripes are I want to put on an obd2 port, and I want to make sure the transmission is really solid, I've heard too many slushbox stories and I think like a hardcore dogbox would be cool. I do want the car to be stupidly fast but I don't have $10k to sink into it at a moment's notice so it will probably be a slow build and I'd prefer to lean towards the cheaper side.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Brakes, suspension, power, in that order. Don't build anything you can't stop or turn. MS is probably the way to go for tuneability, but I'd plan for a good bit of tuning to get it right. I'd forget about OBD2 and get a wideband with a gauge and go from there. Transmission build is a whole different question, but I'd certainly get that sorted before building the motor. You'll probably spend more for a custom gearbox than everything else combined.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brakes, suspension, power, in that order. Don't build anything you can't stop or turn. MS is probably the way to go for tuneability, but I'd plan for a good bit of tuning to get it right. I'd forget about OBD2 and get a wideband with a gauge and go from there. Transmission build is a whole different question, but I'd certainly get that sorted before building the motor. You'll probably spend more for a custom gearbox than everything else combined.
Yeah for brakes I was just going to do some drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pad and full Bilstein suspension and maybe lower it but the roads around here are garbage so maybe not

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
I don't mean to be a ****, but if you're looking to go stupid fast you're going to be spending stupid dollars. $10k, to me, does not sound like the budget for that goal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't mean to be a ****, but if you're looking to go stupid fast you're going to be spending stupid dollars. $10k, to me, does not sound like the budget for that goal.
I think a lot of the budget depends on experience, I'm going to be doing all work myself and I'll be doing a fair bit of custom fabrication. The be all end all is that if a part is more expensive than is worth it for me to make, I'll be making it. The most expensive part of the car will probably be finding another one to drive when it comes time to do engine out type of work. In the end the build should cost me around $5-7k, but the bulk of that will be minutiae. Most of what I'm looking for from this thread is secret sauce like how it's better to use a 2.1 or 2.3 head and cams on a turbo 2.0 rather than the ones it comes with.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
The 2.1 and 2.3l head are exactly the same part. You get bigger intake ports and valves but also a bigger CC volume so either will drop your static CR a few tenths. I guess you know whether this is a net win for you or not.

I would say in 2019 the scenario you should be examining is using a T5 head, especially if you've got fabrication talent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts