SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, great forum and information. I spent about 3 hours trolling through all the posts last night.
I have finally decided to dump my Cadi cts and have been looking for a nice aero to own.
I have found one in my home town, a 2004 9-5 aero with 29800 miles, has the touring package, auto, and basically all the options. They are selling it for 19,900 and that seems to be a great price imo. Thoughts?

Basically I have owned bmr 5 series, cts, GTI and a buch of SUVs but this looks like a great fit for me at this time. Really looking for better gas mileage and a modable engine. Saab seems to offer this in their autos.

So, I am probably goign to test drive tonight and was wondering (beyond the usual things to identify) if there is anything about this year/ model that I should consider before purchasing?

Also - what are the best, most cost effective mods that I should be considering? I was immediately thinking CAI... but I welcome your ideas...

Cheers and thanks for all the great info on these cars that has been posted.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Even if you get 5MPG more, getting a new car to improve fuel economy will cost you more in the end. Even if someone lets go of a 1982 f-150 for a 2008 Yaris, it will take decades before it will be cost effective on a typical use. THis is the most common misconception when it comes to new car, and marketing has fooled us for years.

Now if you can get a Saab 9-5 Aero for less than what you sell the Cadi for you are laughing!:D

If you can: GO for a private sale and you can land a good deal on a 9-5 for sure! My 2001 was $7,350 in Oregon (typical pre-owned prices). Each year newer added and average of $2k-$4k.

Depending on what you are looking for, the Automatic is considered a good unit, while the MT has some debates on how it hold up/feels. THis is in my experience anyways, I wouldn't avoid a 5-speed: however, the automatic is fairly nice and "sporty". hehe

If you are looking at a 2003+ the engine oil sludge issue should be less of a problem; however, frequent oil changes (every 5K) is a must! Look for a perfect service history and it will be well worth the extra bit over a questionable car.

For a 3 year old vehicle I would just use the common sense stuff, if you go a bit older then you should start looking at the exhaust, motor mounts, transmission shift quality, and even an SID replacement.

Take a look and let us hear all your questions and concerns and we can work through them. Pics are always welcome.

Cracked/broken fog lamps are not just some easy cheap fix, the are a fortune! SO watch out!

"Saab certified pre-owned" is more or less a load of garbage with a poor reputation as far as anything I have ever read. SO I would not let that be a sellign bonus, IMO. The dealers have a horrible reputation for being unsupportive and overly expensive, often going about repairs before needed, or missing the most important defects.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
A "CAI" or open intake won't do much besides give you some sound. It makes the engine a bit throatier, and you get a very audible whine and PSSH of the turbo.

First performance mod I would do on an Aero would be Bilstein HD shocks (shox.com has a great price) on the stock springs, and a set of performance brake pads. A good set of tires will go a long way at this point as well. After that I'd move to the engine with an ETS intercooler... after that 3" downpipe and a catback of your choice, with a Stage 3 ECU to round it off.

Stateside, your best tuning resource will likely be genuinesaab.com, with eeuroparts.com for repair parts.

Check out the sticky in the performance and mods thread for more details, or try using search to see one of the millions of tuning threads.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84017

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, for me... I drive basically 82 miles per day. In the cadi, I fill er up once and then trow another $20 in on thursday night each week. I am estimating that I should be able to get through the whole week on 1 tank with the aero... recognizing immediate savings monthly. the insurance should be the same roughly and the monthly payment will go down slightly... so, 80 in gas per month, thats 800 a year, which will help with the ever increasing cost per gallon. save a few undetermined bucks per month on the payment. seems like a win to me...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
stipud - thanks for the responce on mods. Why would more air form a cai not in this case create greater responce and potentially improved overall performance? More 02... better performance.. no?

I have never owned a car with a turbo so I guess it is lieu of that? please explain for me.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
If economy is a concern i'd definately look at getting a 5 speed as opposed to the auto. What's a CAI? I know most acronyms but thats a new one to me! :confused:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
CAI = Chris' Auntie Iris ;)

But how does he know her :confused:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol
stands for cold air intake. basically just utilizing a less restricted air filter to deliver more 02 to the engine...
i think one toher fellow refered ot it as a open air intake.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Ah, open air intake won't release any more power as the air intake/filter is in the lower wing area already. What it will do is allow you to hear the DV venting though if thats what you want. The standard filter is good for 300bhp anyway. 3" downpipe is a nice mod for quicker turbo spool up times.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gotcha - its a fascinating process moving from a car I am incredibly familiar with to one that I know verry little about. I probably do not want anymore sound than what is delivered in a stock vehichle...unless it provides serious gains. :D

as far as the auto versus manual goes, I think I am going to stick with the auto as the driving (traffic) conditions around Bosotn are a nightmare and at 80 + miles per day, the romance with the manual can fade very quickly.
so... a 3" downpipe - i know this is common talk amongst this group, but could you explain which pipe this specifically? cheers.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Its the pipe immediately from the turbo, the first bit of the exhaust.

Not sure it would be my first thing to upgrade though :confused:
Software and an Intercooler perhaps :confused:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts