Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saab 2011
95- Bio
2.0 liter
110,000 miles. (or about)

Engine issue
Looks like metal filings in the upper part of the engine.
Kicks off limp mode.

Service (I trust them) cleaned the crank sensors, and it ran good for about two days, and then same thing happened again.
I have parked it since.

Service guy thinks its a chain rubbing.

Keep in mind, a tree limb fell on the front passenger side, crushing the air filter assembly, during a storm.
Messed the hod up a little, and broke the filter plastic.

I replaced that assembly.

But maybe it jarred that side of the engine?

So.... because I owe five grand still, I would be willing to find decent engine, or sell the the body and all the goodies, for a fair amount. ;)

I am still paying the bank every month, and I live in WIS.

So I wont have the title until I pay it off.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Super Moderator
1,916 Posts
The 2.0L engine is shared with Buick and Cadillac, finding a lightly used replacement should be fairly easy.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Any way you could send me a link to wherever you found the new unit for $2100 delivered?
Bought here. It was a new, and not remanufactured engine. Someone else told me they tried to buy one and they said no more available for some reason. ZZP carries this engine for slightly more money and not quite as complete FYI.

·
Super Moderator
1,916 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Cost from Gearhead Engines was $2707 with shipping after core return for a remanufactured engine with a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty. The engine from ZZPerformance is $2800 shipped (I'd get the one with the turbo included just to avoid the risk that the turbocharger from my old engine will fail sometime soon), not sure about any warranties. Either way I'm probably looking at around $4000 after paying my mechanic to perform the swap.

I paid $7100 for the car roughly 6 months ago. Fjord Blue Turbo4 with a 6 speed manual transmission, roughly 115k miles. The alternator failed within the first week of my ownership and within a few hundred miles later it started leaking oil profusely, skipping badly, and lighting up the check engine light. The oil is leaking from the turbo feed line, coming off behind the water pump. Replacing it requires removal of the water pump, making it foolish not to replace that as well. Upon preparing to remove the water pump my mechanic noticed that the timing chain was slipping easily over the Cam gears. Pretty certain I'm looking at around $2000 to repair all of that, after which I would have a roadworthy NG 9-5 manual. Engine swap would be about twice that but would at least leave me with an engine that would give me some level of confidence.

Trying to decide whether to cut my losses and just donate the car to GoodWill for the tax write-off rather than pushing my investment to $10k plus for a car that I probably couldn't sell for $7k.

If anyone wants a project car, I'm open to offers!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the feedback. Cost from Gearhead Engines was $2707 with shipping after core return for a remanufactured engine with a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty. The engine from ZZPerformance is $2800 shipped (I'd get the one with the turbo included just to avoid the risk that the turbocharger from my old engine will fail sometime soon), not sure about any warranties. Either way I'm probably looking at around $4000 after paying my mechanic to perform the swap.

I paid $7100 for the car roughly 6 months ago. Fjord Blue Turbo4 with a 6 speed manual transmission, roughly 115k miles. The alternator failed within the first week of my ownership and within a few hundred miles later it started leaking oil profusely, skipping badly, and lighting up the check engine light. The oil is leaking from the turbo feed line, coming off behind the water pump. Replacing it requires removal of the water pump, making it foolish not to replace that as well. Upon preparing to remove the water pump my mechanic noticed that the timing chain was slipping easily over the Cam gears. Pretty certain I'm looking at around $2000 to repair all of that, after which I would have a roadworthy NG 9-5 manual. Engine swap would be about twice that but would at least leave me with an engine that would give me some level of confidence.

Trying to decide whether to cut my losses and just donate the car to GoodWill for the tax write-off rather than pushing my investment to $10k plus for a car that I probably couldn't sell for $7k.

If anyone wants a project car, I'm open to offers!
Sounds very similar to what happened to my car.

But I had an automatic trans.

Alrenater ... Turbo ... took them a week to find an oil leak, that created Nascar style smoke!

Then they found it and I drove it... probably 2000+ miles,

Limp mode.

But now I own it :)

**** ... if you look up tail lights, it's like 500 dollars!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts