SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not seriously committed to buying anything but I've been browsing craigslist and found two cars that piqued my interest.

03 Aero: http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/cto/3057557349.html
$2800, needs some work - battery drains after the car sits for 5 hours. Based on the listing, the owner has fixed a number of common problems + installed the PCV update which is good to hear. I wouldn't mind learning to wrench a bit...Do you think I could tackle these issues at home?

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/cto/3077244559.html
$3400. Don't know what trim level (linear?) or mileage but it looks solid. Obviously not as cool looking as an Aero but that doesn't matter (does it?)

Like I said, no real purchasing plans yet but I'm looking to learn to drive manual this summer and what better car to do it in? Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I'm not seriously committed to buying anything but I've been browsing craigslist and found two cars that piqued my interest.

03 Aero: http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/cto/3057557349.html
$2800, needs some work - battery drains after the car sits for 5 hours. Based on the listing, the owner has fixed a number of common problems + installed the PCV update which is good to hear. I wouldn't mind learning to wrench a bit...Do you think I could tackle these issues at home?

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/cto/3077244559.html
$3400. Don't know what trim level (linear?) or mileage but it looks solid. Obviously not as cool looking as an Aero but that doesn't matter (does it?)

Like I said, no real purchasing plans yet but I'm looking to learn to drive manual this summer and what better car to do it in? Thanks for reading.
If I'm not mistaken the first one is from a fellow member on here, and overall would be my choice if I had to choose between the two. But eitherway be prepared to learn how to do the work yourself and have the cash to repair it as needed

·
Registered
777 Posts
I wouldn't even look at any other 9-5s other than an aero unless it's a newer 9-5 with the high output turbo, not worth it. Get an aero.

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
I'd go for the aero.

The reason is that the battery drain can be fixed, so plan on it. But the person who owns that car (1) knows a lot about it and (2) appears to take pretty good care of it. Knowing about the PCV update, SID, and the other things in the post shows someone who knows and takes care of their car. I'd take that any day on a purchase.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I agree on the Aero. Sounds like the guy is being honest and disclosing what he should when a car is sold which to me would be worth something. I just got an 02 aero 5 speed for $2,790 it is being shipped here as I couldn't even find an aero in my state and definitely not 5 speed. The aero is more reliable at least as far as the turbo goes plus the resale is better on them because there are people that won't buy anything but an aero.

Good luck with your searching.

·
Registered
290 Posts
If it's a forum member here on SC I'd say that's my choice already...

I have a linear in that green color and I ALWAYS get compliments on it!!!;ol;

Coupled with the 5-spd... it's a winner.

Good luck!

·
Banned
1,042 Posts
Most 9-5's of age will need some wrenching from time-to-time. Add in neglect of most owners and the price should drop without maintence history.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I'm not mistaken the first one is from a fellow member on here, and overall would be my choice if I had to choose between the two. But eitherway be prepared to learn how to do the work yourself and have the cash to repair it as needed
I can handle that and I don't mind learning to tackle some issues myself. The only concern is the valve cover gasket which doesn't sound that bad, and of course the parasitic draw - but that shouldn't be too difficult to diagnose.
I emailed him earlier today but haven't heard back yet...I'll see what happens.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I saw this car; it never hurts to look if your only concern is the VC gasket; your good, good luck"

I can handle that and I don't mind learning to tackle some issues myself. The only concern is the valve cover gasket which doesn't sound that bad, and of course the parasitic draw - but that shouldn't be too difficult to diagnose.
I emailed him earlier today but haven't heard back yet...I'll see what happens.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Haven't heard anything (email, posted in his thread, and PM'ed him)...the search goes on. Is the other car in the first post worth looking at?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks for all the good words guys. I got in contact with the OP.

The car developed a coolant leak recently, ordered a new heater control valve today, and it'll be my project for this Saturday. :x

This car is for a Saab enthusiast and there aren't too many of them out there. I bought the car because it's a good package of speed and luxury, but I've had enough of it's quirkiness quite honestly. I'm looking to get back into a Honda after I sell this car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts