SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi new to the forum so sorry if this is in the wrong place.

i am currently looking for a 9000 2.3 cse/cde turbo.

apart from the obvious performance difference can someone please explain the difference between the 2.3 fpt and the 2.3 lpt.

what exactly is an lpt

thanks in anticipation:D

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
The LPT operates on base boost only as it doesn't have the ability to control the turbo accurately enough. This is a result of not having APC. Also the FPT has an intercooler which the LPT doesn't (additional 10hp roughly). The easy way to tell them apart is to look at the dashboard. The FPT has a turbo guage the LPT doesn't.

Other than that the cars are pretty much identical.

The performance difference isn't all that spectacular. Depends on what your after though. The LPT (or ECO) models can be several hundred £££'s cheaper to insure. Take it into the equation when thinking about it.

Also make sure of the car's service history as the turbo puts considerable extra strain on the engine.

Kenneth

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the quick reply.

i currently have a 16 year old 9000 cdis which after 193k miles has finally died on me. ahwell had a years happy motoring for £200:D

so got my heart set on a 2.3 turbo now, do these thing really go as quick as what i have been reading?

the lpt is loads cheaper on insurance I just didnt want to loose out on too much performance

·
Registered
49 Posts
Not sure what you've been reading as to how fast they are..! But they are quick, I've driven quite a few different cars and think my saab goes well, i've not tried the lpt version but fpt is definitely the one to go for anyway!

My friend has a chrysler crossfire he's very pleased with, he crows about it a lot and invited me over to his house the other day after we'd finished doing some training together. The gym and his house are seperated by a straight section of A road, about 2 miles long so he put his foot down in his car and i thought i might as well try keep up.
Anyway 140 mph later he decided to back off as he realised he wasnt getting away from me, i'd easily kept pace with him all the way up to that speed.

So yeah, they are quick, get one immediately!
:)

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I'll second that about the accelaration. My 9000 CS FPT has a few issues from lack of maintenance by the previous owner, but it has still managed to scare the s**t out of me - and I'm use to it.

There is a listing of cars somewhere on the 'net that compares 0-60, 30-50, 50-70, 1/4mile, etc, and the 9000 is high on the list for 30-50 & 50-70. As far as I understood, it's not the BHP but the torque that makes them so quick. And yes, I've beaten a few porsches to illegal speeds...

They are exceptionally quick - but best of all, most people ignore you as they see a bus and dont think it's worth racing...

Kenneth

·
Registered
49 Posts
You don't want to know...:eek:

Nah only joking, well I've been doing some longish motorway runs coupled with a fair bit of city driving over the last few days and my trip computer says 36 mpg. I generally cruise about 80 on the motorway going up to 90 sometimes for overtaking.
So it's not bad on petrol at all i dont think.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I get 26 out of my auto griffin at a constant 80 on the motorway - once got 30, but had a following wind - obviously the auto is less good on fuel due to transmission losses.

As far as performance goes, I don't think it is particularly fast, but it cruises well and on kickdown does get a move on. I suppose it all depends what you are used to.
Cheers

Pete

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Zero to 60 mph (96 km/hr) in under 7 seconds and top speed of in the neaighbourhood of 150 mph (240 km/hr) depending on whether you have a mnaula shift Aero or the regular FPT. The LPT is not that quick.

Fuel economy for the 2.3 turbo is actually better than for the 2.0 around town because you get more torque lower down so acceleration at wide throttle openings is quick. You get best fuel economy when you accelerate up to cruising speed relatively quickly, especially with a turbo as this minimizes pumping losses and puts the engine in high gear sooner.

On the highway the displacement rules because the turbo isn't used much on the highway. The only exception would be driving very fast when the turbo is used a lot, then the smaller engine uses less fuel. You'll be surprised at what a modest fuel economy penalty the turbo motor extracts from your wallet. Part of the difference is just the slightly lower compression ratio for the turbo.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks guys

i have had a couple of turbos over the years, Not Saab tho.

wait for it

i actually owned a rover 800 vittesse turbo a couple of years ago altho it was quick the fule consumption was horendous 20 mpg max:eek:

looking forward to finally owning a 9000 turbo:D

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I've a 2.3lpt and get around 27-30mpg around town, about 35-40 on A roads and 35-38 on motorways.

The lpt is a bit slower off the line, but when rolling they are very smooth and can be very deceptive. Also a lpt is les likely to be thrashed, I would guess.

I did think about adding a stage 1 to mine, but I enjoy the quiet comfort too much. Anyway I have another Saab (99T) for those hairier moments. :p

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well i'm picking up my new 1995 9000 CDE 2.3 lpt tomorrow:D

and now for the ironic bit

as i have stated earlier i currently have a 1989 cdis that died about a week and a half ago:(

i got init turned the key and all the usual ignition lights illuminated as normal but as i turned to start it, it completelty died:eek: .

I checked the battery and earths, fuses etc and all were fine.

i though ahwell i was going to change it next month so i will just scrap it and change it a month earlier.

well i went in there earlier and noticed the kurb lights were working so i put the key in and noticed a very faint parking light on the dash:confused:

at this point i thought i'll try the lights and nothing, then i thought i would try the main beam and whoosh the whole thing lit up as normal.

i turned the key and it started perfectly:confused:

it must have known it was getting replaced :lol:

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
The stage 1 Naranto is talking about is an upgrade to the power output of the engine, depending on the degree of upgrade you have stage 1 through 3

click here http://www.partsforsaabs.com/default.php?cPath=28_270_291

some other companies go to even higher power upgrades :eek:

Funny your car started working again, do you think the starter motor is on the way out, they sometimes stick and then unstick themselves in the dying stages, what are you going to do with the old one ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for that info.

dont think it was anything to do with starter to be honest, it was definately an electrical fault.

i will keep trying it for a few days to make sure its ok now then try and sell it cheap

still got one months tax and 8 months mot

1 - 16 of 16 Posts