SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am travelling 6 hours round-trip to look at a 9-3 today. Its a 2001 2 door non SE car. Its got an H in the VIN so its 185hp. The guy is selling it for his grandfather who can no longer drive it.

The good:
One owner
100,000 miles
All service records
The guy put $10,000 into the car in the past 5 years.

The bad:
No leather :(
I wanted a four door

The question:
This car had a transmission and clutch put in at 90,000 (10,000 miles ago)
This seems strange to me.... (the tranny, not the clutch)

What should I be looking for in this car? Here is my list so far: (thanks to this forum)

Cracked suspension bushings/engine mounts
Oil leaking from rear main seal, turbo and head
Oil in intercooler piping
Smoke from exhaust
Shifter play and grinds or trouble finding gears
Timing chain rattle

Did I miss anything?

Cheers guys!

-david

·
Registered
719 Posts
Re

Looks like a nice car ,especially to modify .You might check colour of oil to see if its been changed regularly.Check tires for uneven wear,front end issues.The price is a clincher?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Looks like a nice car ,especially to modify .You might check colour of oil to see if its been changed regularly.Check tires for uneven wear,front end issues.The price is a clincher?
Good call especially on the uneven tire wear. The price seems about right at $2700 and I am hoping for $2500.

How can I tell the tranny install was done right?

Apparently this car has one of the rare spanish "manuel" transmissions! :D

Cheers!
-david

·
Registered
59 Posts
very nice!

I really like this one! I would say buy it considering its got pretty decent mileage. I actually got a 900 from an older lady who never drove it. Its always nice knowing they taken very good care of the car

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Offer $2500 firm. He'll take it. Also, you may want to check to see if the most recent PCV update is installed.
Thats right, PCV update will be added to the list.

How (apart from a service record) can I tell the PCV update has been done?

You guys are the best!

·
Registered
215 Posts
http://www.saabcentral.com/techhelp/gm900_93/NG900_buyers_guide.php

I used this and it was great.

The only thing I would add is "The exhaust test". With the car on, go put your hand behind the tail pipe about an inch away. You should feel even pulses coming from the engine. If you get 3 strong, 1 weak, then a cylinder isn't working properly.

Check the tail pipe for soot or residue. Dark or oily stuff around the tail pipe is a sign that the engine is going to cost you a fortune later. (Bad rings/head gasket)

Finally, with the palm of your hand, cover the tailpipe. Listen for leaks and feel for good pressure. This will be your test of the exhaust system.

Also, when you test drive the car, test drive it to the nearest place you can pull OBD codes.

Best of luck! Saabs are going crazy cheap right now, great time to get a great car.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
For $10,000 the PCV v 6 had best be there, else the PO was really ripped off !
Also, the records are a must, IMO.
The leather is cold in the winter and hot in the summer; sheepskin, IMO, is better.
She looks to be a good buy...its the rip-off factor and workmanship..

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
http://www.saabcentral.com/techhelp/gm900_93/NG900_buyers_guide.php

I used this and it was great.

The only thing I would add is "The exhaust test". With the car on, go put your hand behind the tail pipe about an inch away. You should feel even pulses coming from the engine. If you get 3 strong, 1 weak, then a cylinder isn't working properly.

Check the tail pipe for soot or residue. Dark or oily stuff around the tail pipe is a sign that the engine is going to cost you a fortune later. (Bad rings/head gasket)

Finally, with the palm of your hand, cover the tailpipe. Listen for leaks and feel for good pressure. This will be your test of the exhaust system.

Also, when you test drive the car, test drive it to the nearest place you can pull OBD codes.

Best of luck! Saabs are going crazy cheap right now, great time to get a great car.
Thank you for the great info! I will check the exhaust and the footwell for wetness.

How do I tell if the PCV update was done?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
556 Posts
$10k in the past 5 years??? I'd like to see that list, sounds bogus for a stock car or he just continuously got ripped. Kinda like a tranny in a 90k car. Better take your fine-tooth comb.

Being in the car business for 28 years no one hardly mentions; turn the key to the on position to make sure all the warning lights are operational before starting the car.

PS, good luck and remember, 2 doors are faster LOL

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
$10k in the past 5 years??? I'd like to see that list, sounds bogus for a stock car or he just continuously got ripped. Kinda like a tranny in a 90k car. Better take your fine-tooth comb.

Being in the car business for 28 years no one hardly mentions; turn the key to the on position to make sure all the warning lights are operational before starting the car.

PS, good luck and remember, 2 doors are faster LOL
I will certainly check the indicator lights in the dash. The grandson said the invoice for the tranny work reads $7300! Insane on a 10+ year old car! The work was done in 2010.

Find tooth comb eh?? I think I have a pretty good start. I really appreciate the help!

If I see any writing in paint marker on the tranny housing I will know its a junkyard piece.

I will read every record he has.

New tranny at 90k a GOOD or BAD thing??

Cheers!!!

·
Registered
556 Posts
New tranny at 90k a GOOD or BAD thing??

Cheers!!!
You are going to have the current owner answer that. Ask him why he needed a tranny at 90k? Was it cause he doesn't drive a stick well?? Was it just a factory defect? Did the shop just tell him he needed on to make $$? Did they TRULY replace it?

·
Registered
35 Posts
From this novice's point of view.. it looks like a nice car! I'm in the same pickle (in fact, tried last night w/o success to post the details on the 2001 9-3 I'm looking at in the Denver area). I envy those of you who live where Saabs are less expensive/easier to come by. Good luck!

Don't want to hijack the thread.. but do all 9-3's of this vintage need the PCV update?

I'm still laughing about the "manuel" transmission. I'm looking at your western clone - 2001, 76k mi, manuel transmission, cloth seats :( , otherwise so nice!

Hope it turns out well for you!

·
Registered
19,178 Posts
Sometimes the syncros wear. If he complained, and if he used a dealer or even an indy for his work, the price quoted for a rebuild might have made a replacement appear to make sense.

Looks like a great deal if he's the original owner, or even the second owner.

·
Registered
19,178 Posts
Don't want to hijack the thread.. but do all 9-3's of this vintage need the PCV update?
Any T7 9-3 (2000 to 2002/3 'vert0 should have the PCV #6 update installed. They should all have the pan dropped after purchase just to verify that the pickup screen is clean, even with PC #6. The risk is too high not to do that.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Good call especially on the uneven tire wear. The price seems about right at $2700 and I am hoping for $2500.

How can I tell the tranny install was done right?

Apparently this car has one of the rare spanish "manuel" transmissions! :D

Cheers!
-david
If it *really* belonged to his Grandfather, he probably payed for a good mechanic. Ask for receipts. Also, being an old guy, one owner car it's probably pristine with no abuse in it's history. Looks like a nice find. Mileage is good for the year as well. 2500-2700 for a decent mileage 1 owner car in clean condition seems very fair. ;ol;

Also, he might of slipped the clutch too much, resulting in a new clutch job, and just his luck the trans shop snookered him for a new trans LOL. Ask why it was replaced.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I bought it!!!

The guy said the mech took advantage of his grandparents and the car didnt need a tranny. It was popping out of second gear and the mech replaced the transmission (new), clutch, and slave cylinder. The transmission and clutch seem nice and strong and the linkage is way tighter than my NG900 was.

It got me home in 3.5 hours with no hiccups! Its got a broken fog light lens and neither fog light works. The third brake light is also out.

Its got nearly new michelins! new A/C compressor, new tranny, clutch, slave cylinder, brake rotors and pads front and back, rear shocks, and has had Mobile One its entire life.

Time to add some horsepower.....

He would not budge an inch on the price. After seeing it, I didnt care.

Thanks to everyone for their time and knowledge!!!

-david

·
Registered
556 Posts
Good, sounds like you got a cherry one.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts